Setup for work laptop

Or like I mentioned already, can easily get USB to HDMI

Yeah but then it's using a tiny GPU on the USB adapter...and not really necessary if he already has outputs on the laptop/dock for DisplayPort. Might as well use the GPU power the laptop already has rather than try to output through USB. The DP->HDMI adapters will be much cheaper than USB video adapters as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters...424451364&sr=8-2&keywords=displayport+to+hdmi

My friend had bought a USB video adapter so he could have more monitors at work on his laptop than it would support...and it was around $60 or so for 1 (if I remember correctly).

Yeah but then it's using a tiny GPU on the USB adapter...and not really necessary if he already has outputs on the laptop/dock for DisplayPort. Might as well use the GPU power the laptop already has rather than try to output through USB. The DP->HDMI adapters will be much cheaper than USB video adapters as well.
Amazon.com: Cable Matters Gold Plated DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (Male to Female) with Audio in Black: Computers & Accessories

My friend had bought a USB video adapter so he could have more monitors at work on his laptop than it would support...and it was around $60 or so for 1 (if I remember correctly).

Yeah I guess the price different is a major factor... I guess its upto the OP but atleast he knows his options now:cool:

But im trying to find a way to switch between the desktop and then laptop without having to unplug the HDMI cables from desktop to monitors and then having to plug in from docking station to monitors. The Dell monitors only have 1 HDMI port :/

What type of HDMI switch would I need? I seen some online, but doesnt look like they would work with my scenario.

Back
Top Bottom