Setting up pfSence on an old laptop. Questions?

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
I have finally gotten around to setting up pfSence after posting about it a while ago and I had the following curiosity's if any one could answer please.

I have my old laptop what I have removed the battery out of so it doesn't pop and I'm wanting to install pfsence. Now the laptop has an RJ11 and an RJ45 socket built in too the laptop it self.

Is this possible to set this up on this laptop and do I need any setting from my ISP in order to connect to their service.

I'm not sure how I would direct my traffic to my ISP from my line as far as I know everything is just pnp on my router given from my ISP. When you boot it up it just works.

So do I need to get settings from my ISP and what about my network switch separate from my desktop. Would that just work as normal by connecting the Ethernet from the laptop to the switch.

Well something telling me to give up and I haven't even started proper yet.

I'm struggling to get my LAN detected and my WAN (I think is the internet) is being detected as my LAN.

I'm gonna plod on with this but if I do get it sorted; if any one can help, I'm gonna have a freaking eureka moment over this.

EDIT: Just realized its a double post. Apologises.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom