Setting up a MYSQL database server

kjgizmo

Beta member
Hello

I'm a little new at this, so don't mind the stupid questions :)

I am trying to configure a MYSQL database server, and when I get startet on the configuring I get to following problems:

Adding a new connection:
connection-name : my-database
user : jep..........
password : k..............

Hostname : Problem here.. ?? what's going to stand here ?? something like: 192.168.0.1 `??

port : 3306

Type : Problem here.. ?? Which type is the best to configure a database from.. ??

'Hope u can help me here.. :D

Yes, put the machines IP address into the server box.

type is unimportant really, it makes a difference to the way that the tables are sorted and stored, but in realiity just accept the default, (unless you want to read up all about it).

root said:
Yes, put the machines IP address into the server box.

type is unimportant really, it makes a difference to the way that the tables are sorted and stored, but in realiity just accept the default, (unless you want to read up all about it).

I have tried to write the following IP: 192.168.0.1 because I have installed the mysql server database on my desktop, where I also will be running it from. But comes which a error..

what are I'm doing wrong here ??

Every MySQL database I have ever setup, the default is usually "localhost" and the username and password you used when you first setup the database. How is this setup? On a Linux box? Any reason why it's running from the desktop?

pctechmike said:
Every MySQL database I have ever setup, the default is usually "localhost" and the username and password you used when you first setup the database. How is this setup? On a Linux box? Any reason why it's running from the desktop?

I haven't been able to locate me a server yet.. But I have just talked to a friend, so I'm getting a server from him.. But I'll try write "localhost"..

thanx for your help :D

If I am correct, 192.168.0.1 is usually the gateway (router, switch). These people are right if it's on your own box localhost, 127.0.0.1, or even the ip address on your network (assuming it's 192.168.0.2). You could even port forward to yourself (through your router) and connect to yourself through the ip given to you by your isp.

Looks like you're just connecting to the wrong host.

Back
Top Bottom