server rackmounts

ServerMaster

Solid State Member
on a server rack how are all the disk arrays, tape drives and other parts all connected like what type of connectors do they use? do they use rj45 to connect all the raid arrays?

What do you mean? The physical connection to the rackmount itself by screws etc or logically how they all talk to each other? Please explain a little more. Welcome to computerforums.org by the way.

what i mean is how are the rackmount data wires connected? and what types of data wires do the rackmounts use to connect disk arrays.

The rackmount is just a steel construct to hold the items up. There's no network going on for the rackmount itself. The items on the rackmount thought is another story. If i put 2 1U servers on there and connect both to a central switch, then the two servers communicate though ethernet with a central switch directing the packets to their destination. Does this answer your question better?

this helps and i also want to know is do i conect a 1u server with 2 4u disk array units with ethernet or do i connect them to the server with long external sas cables?

Can you show me a picture of the server? By what i get it's inside of a 1U server chassis, but it uses hot swappable-like hard disks on the outside front and has 4 or 8 of them? A picture would help the most, even a concept art or something, something to give me a better idea.

First link didn't work but the second made sense. That's a 4U server, which means it takes up 4 slots on the rackmount. If a rackmount is 44U high, then 4U of the 44U is taken up by this chassis. By standard these servers will be 19 inches wide as well to fit on the rackmount. So if you see a "rackmountable" item, it's usually 19 inches wide, or something that extends it to be 19.

To phyiscally connect this server to a rackmount, you'll need certain screws capable of going into the thread on the rack itself. I don't deal with racks often as i'm still in high school, i'v been spying some nice 4 post ones at school but they won't sell me any, against the policy, however i'm assuming the server should come with screws to put it on the rack. If not, find a "rackmount rail kit" or similar to that specific chassis or server name to attach it to. The rail kit will defiantly let you attach that server to the rack.

Now logically attaching it depends entirely upon whoever your network admin is. He can have that act as an ftp server or any other server if he wants, the only job of the rackmount is to hold it in place, and to keep it organized. The rest is up to what the admin does with the server and what else he installed on the rackmount, such as power distribution units.

I hope i have not drifted to far off. It's very early in the morning and am helping someone else with their phone. I tried to make this sound as clear as i can for being so early in the morning. If you have any more questions feel free to post here.

Back
Top Bottom