Server just for F@H..

Spud1200

Fully Optimized
Since HDD Drive size isn't important and I can run Linux, I've found these n Amazon. I don't know anything about Rack Mount servers so I'm looking for advice on the subject. But since being a Xenon what do you Gyes think.

DELL 2950 E5410 8GB 1x72GB SAS 15K POWEREDGE RACK MOUNT: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

DELL 1950 E5410 8GB 1x72GB SAS 15K POWEREDGE RACK MOUNT: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Edit: Just found this Link under Google..

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/...74KJ053N - AT80574KJ053N (BX80574E5410A).html

Last edited:
Hey Spud, sorry I missed this. The answer really depends if these are 2p or not. 2p = 2 processors. Google says the 5410 should be, but at that price, it's hard to believe.

I'm betting if it was a 2p, you'd do decently on smp units. I really haven't been to the forum lately, but it may be better folding to go with gpu's.
A gtx 770 will most likely out fold it for the same price, and a 780 will destroy it for a bit more.
Though you'll need ~600W psu.

Hey Spud, sorry I missed this. The answer really depends if these are 2p or not. 2p = 2 processors. Google says the 5410 should be, but at that price, it's hard to believe.

I'm betting if it was a 2p, you'd do decently on smp units. I really haven't been to the forum lately, but it may be better folding to go with gpu's.
A gtx 770 will most likely out fold it for the same price, and a 780 will destroy it for a bit more.
Though you'll need ~600W psu.

Sorry I missed this as well Patton. I've just noticed the Post. At the minute I'm Folding on my Duel core, its not much but I'm turning over WU at a decient rate Per week, for the CPU that the towers running. IMO, its the Work, not the PPD but I'll look in to it again soon, it'll come up my back again at some point.

Well Stanford equates points with work. So more ppd = more work per day/more science.

A gpu would still be the best for you as you'd pop it into your current tower, though the gpu uses 1 cpu core per card.

Back
Top Bottom