Server crashing

have you checked to see if there are any bios updates for your machine?

I'm an old-timer on that kind of thing - BIOS updates are the last thing I do before replacing a motherboard. I do have a friend with the same board and same CPU (i got mine based on his being stable) and we have the same BIOS versions.

Looked for the standard swollen capacitor symptoms etc on the board?

Yes sir. None spotted.

It's been almost 3 days now since I pulled the first pair of RAM and it hasn't crashed yet (and not for lack of trying). I'm going to throw this set pulled pair back in when I get home from work tonight. If it crashes then I found my bad sticks. That, or I've found some bad ports on my motherboard. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Just a small update here as it's been a week - Simply put the server currently appears to be working. After swapping the RAM pair out as mentioned above it still didn't crash so I figured bad port on the motherboard.

As such, I put the the third pair back into my server on Saturday and showed my fiance how to reboot it if it crashed while I'm out traveling this week. It's been 4 days now and 0 crashes. Not sure if maybe just the unlatching and re-securing I did as a quickie re-seat wasn't enough to actually fix a seating issue or what but for now things seem stable.

Awesome.

Early on in my electronics career, I seriously doubted the concept of 'reseating' cards and modules as a potential fix, until I saw it with own two eyes.

It really doesn't take a lot of corrosion, sometimes, to mess things up and even though gold doesn't 'corrode' in the usual sense, it does tarnish, and the action of removing and inserting a card or module can often-times clean that tarnish off and allow things to work again.

Back
Top Bottom