Server 2012 File Share Issues

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
More or less could use a few thoughts, I have temporarily fixed my issue, but ideas would be nice.

I am running two Server 2012 R2 systems, one is my AD/DC/DNS, and another is running WSUS and acting as a basic file-server.

I recently upgraded the SAS controller on my ESXi host (which is where the two servers are located) and lost my disks, just got done restoring most things then got to a network share that I randomly had spots with ZERO access to the share remotely, so restoring my files proved to be annoying for this share.

I then started to notice I had trust issues with my domain so I had to rejoin my networked machines to the domain, this included having the fileserver rejoin the domain before it's domain logon expired. All was perfectly fine till today when I started running into permissions issues.

For example; \\servername\Media1, I could access it locally on the server, and read/write just fine, but remotely, while I could access the share, I couldn't access something like \\servername\Media1\directory1\ask\, but COULD access \\servername\Media1\directory1\huh\

To further complicate things, yesterday while I was working in this shared folder, I had zero issues accessing \\servername\Media1\directory1\ask, but do now.

To further things, the security permissions are inherited by the parent directory, I checked, and double checked, both security, and sharing permissions was all set properly at the root directory, and all lower directories.

Now, on to the next part, all 6 of my other shared drives worked fine, hunky dory, they don't care, same permissions everywhere, no issues, it's just the \Media1\ share that flakes up.

Now onto the trippy part... I decided to create a new share named just \Media\ on that same location, same permissions. I could then access everything with out issue. So I deleted the Media1 share, rebooted, and recreated, and still couldn't access random things with \Media1\, but \media\ worked fine.

So, anyone have any really good ideas when you take into account that it happens only with a specific share name that existed before I had to restore my disks, yet all permissions are fine, and it works perfectly fine locally?

I mean, it's "resolved" for now, but having a directory named just "Media" when I have 0 - 6 irritates me greatly.

Move on to hex instead? :p \Media0x1\

That is weird though. Maybe try enforcing a deny permission first and confirming that works (i.e. blocks access correctly), then change to a permit.

Back
Top Bottom