Server 2008 DNS problem...

xtremezx2

Daemon Poster
Ok, here's my problem. We have a Windows server 2008 x64 Enterprise server set up handling our domain (we'll call it random.com for security purposes) and our DNS needs.

A little background on our network because it's kind of an odd setup (at least in my opinion, others may see something like this all the time).

We have a cisco router that has 2 interface ports: 1 of these goes to our internal 192 network and the other goes to our public 209 (external IPs) network. Traffic on the 192 network is allowed for outgoing, but everything incoming (that's not allowed through the firewall) is blocked. On the 209 the firewall obviously needs to support incoming traffic as there are 2 web servers there (each with there own external IP address).

We have a development server that we are creating a web application on (we'll call it MARS) that is on our internal 192 network. We wanted to NAT this server with one of our 209 IPs and have it forward to the 192 address of this particular server. This works great for outside, traffic gets redirected to the proper server and all is well and good. The bad thing is that we can not access it through using the domain (call it test1-random.com, each external IP has a domain given to it so test2-random.com, test3-random.com, etc).

I tried fixing this by adding a host to the forward lookup zone called test1-random.com, but it adds the random.com domain name on the end of it so the address comes out as test1-random.com.random.com which works, but will not let us access things properly within our Map Server. Hopefully someone has some insight, especially like root. Sorry for the long read though. :S

You won't be able to use test1-random.com with a hyphen between test1 & random.com. Needs to be test1.random.com. In the host record just type in test1 (don't add random.com) and it will record as test1.random.com. Then after replication settles you should be able to type in test1.random.com in a browser and have the web app come up.

test1-random.com is the domain name that is associated with that ip address. the forward lookup zone is random.com (same as internal domain). so when I put in test1-random.com into a host it adds the random.com to the end to create the fully qualified domain name giving it a final value of test1-random.com.random.com which if I type into a browser works and gives me what I want, but I don't want the end random.com. To hit that server from the outside you would type in http://www3.test1-random.com and it goes to the under construction page. Hopefully that is clear, sorry if it's not and let me know and I'll try to phrase it differently.

don't know what else to tell you other than if you want your domain to read as just test1-random.com only ... type in test1- in the dns host record that you create. Problem with that ... the hyphen won't work. Well ... it might, but it will look like test1-.random.com. It will work as test1.random.com. Go back and reassociate the ip address to work with test1.random.com rather than test1-random.com

Back
Top Bottom