Serious WP7 problem

Sam.emilio

Beta member
Okay, so here's the thing. My computer was running fine. I've just got a new house mate who likes sketchy software. He wanted us to be able to play games over WLAN using his PS3 controllers, so he got me to install DS3 Tool. The kicker with connecting the controller over Bluetooth with that crappy program is that it installs a driver OVER your ordinary Bluetooth driver. He told me that if I wanted to use a different Bluetooth device then I'd have to reinstall my driver. I didn't care, because I never use it on my computer anyway.

Fast forward to today (from 2 weeks ago), when I got sick of the fact I'd been living without a mouse for a few weeks (I have an ASUS G73) and asked him if I'd be able to borrow the one he never uses until I buy a new one this week. It's bluetooth, and he reminded me of the driver stuff. I uninstalled the PS3 controller driver through DS3 Tool, and the mouse wouldn't connect as expected. I downloaded the driver from the ASUS website, ran the installer, and it had a random error. Instead of googling the error message, I decided to run it again. The installer got stuck when it came to one of the first steps, uninstalling the current driver. So I opened up task manager and ended the process (the nice way).

INSTANTLY, this is when things went insane. All of a sudden, my icons along the taskbar turned to the no-icon standard 2D piece of paper image. I went to the start menu, and all that showed up was a list of standard Microsoft games (which shouldn't have come up there), with icons of a person with a crossed out circle next to them, which I'm guessing is some sort of no access icon. I immediately rebooted, and not only did things not change and my wallpaper not come up, but I'm unable to access ANY programs - the computer just thinks that they're just shortcuts to nowhere. The backlighting and Fn controls of my keyboard linked to ASUS' software are not working (such as bringing up the wifi/bluetooth menu or even the calculator), and the only way I was able to access Firefox (explorer is showing no programs as existing (except for three that are pinned in the start menu, but again are just shortcuts), not even IE) was by going through Windows Help pages until I found one that linked to a Microsoft website. Even FF is weird, the google search bar isn't working, and when I open a new tab I get "The address isn't valid" instead of the array of commonly used websites that version 14 normally shows up - not to mention that none of my bookmarks, history or passwords are there anymore. For some reason I then downloaded and tried to re install the bluetooth drivers, like an idiot, and I'm getting the same result from the installer.

Here is the closest thing to a screenshot image:https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/19QKjTUi...vVNhMh4q5g/edit - Paint isn't even working so google docs is the closest thing I could think of to share this.

Does anybody know what the hell I can do about this situation without reformatting? Doing that in itself is a problem. When I said "got a new housemate," what I meant in a broader sense was "moved to South America for a few months and in with someone I didn't really know" and with "need a new mouse" I meant "left it on my desk in Australia."

Any suggestions are very appreciated, thanks very much in advance.

I had about 80 000 photos on my computer. I'm REALLY hoping that something's just up, but explorer is showing my Pictures folder as being empty. wow.

Program Files and Program Files x86 aren't showing anything other than default programs as being installed, but right-click menus show as otherwise. WMP will play audio only.

Please help!

Back
Top Bottom