Serial ports on laptops

SeaRay88

Solid State Member
Can anyone tell me when the $%@!&%#!#%^#$K laptop makers quit putting SERIAL ports on laptops? I've got a bunch of map programs and GPS devices that use serial connection. My new HP only has USP ports, which works OK for some, but not all software. Some software only recognizes COM1, 2, 3 and the USB ports go all over the place. I need an old laptop, but don't know what to look for. I was going to trade my wife for her old DELL, but she spilled Coke on it and fried the MB. :(

Ouch.... poor lappy...

I guess you could say the same for some people who still need Floppy drives. Its all well and good saying you don't need them anymore, but I still do for my muscial keyboard and stuff...annoying

Yup, USB is about all you can do anymore. My new system doesn't have seral on it at all(not even mobo headers), and neither does my laptop. It's just such a slow connection, most people are doing away with it.

Sometimes you can find USB versions of such cables. I know I have one for my cell phone with simply emulates the come port.

I've got a cable that interfaces my GPS serial conntector to the USB port on the laptop, but the DeLorme and Garmin software does and doesn't work with it. The DeLorme programs have a automatic find feature, which will find COM8 or 11, but the Garmin only looks for COM1,2,3.

I know where I'm at when out ATVing, but I can't load maps from the PC to the GPS to keep track of where I am when on the ATV. I have to preload them at home, then if I go to another state, I'm lost. I was out in AZ last month and didn't see another living thing for 3 days. I was lost, but my GPS told me where I was. Retirement is fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom