Semi-Budgeted Gaming Rig. Opinions?

Schwoopie

Beta member
Hi everybody,

This fall I go off to college, and as of right now I'm going to be building my own tower. I've been working with computers for a while, but this is my first build from scratch, so I wanted to run it past some other people.

The tentative setup will be as follows:

Motherboard: ASRock P67 PRO3 SE LGA 1155

CPU: Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB

Video Card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 570

HDD: Seagate Barracuda

Disc Drive: Samsung Blue-Ray Drive

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

Wireless Adapter: Rosewill USB 2.0 Wireless Adapter

Case: APEVIA ATX Case

Monitor: Acer 20" LCD monitor

Keyboard: Rosewill Keyboard

Mouse: Kensington Optical Mouse

I tried keeping costs down on keyboard, mouse, monitor, and hard drive, but maybe someone else has a better idea.

I was pretty iffy on the power supply on this list, as to whether it would be strong enough for this rig, feedback would be appreciated.

Also, the wireless adapter is unfortunately necessary for the school's network :(

Just wanted to see what someone else thinks. I'm looking to keep the total cost around $1000 more or less. I do intend to game on this PC. Any suggestions for alternate parts would be greatly appreciated.

Your motherboard supports raid. Therefore, get 4 Newegg.com - Recertified: Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 ST3400832AS 400GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive of these and drop them into RAID 5. That will make them more reliable and you get the space plus performance. It will also survive 1 drive failure.
According to the website your motherboard does not support SLI. That is not good if you plan on upgrading your system.
If you plan on going the SLI route or crossfire route. I would highly recomend you switch to a socket 1366 motherboard. The 1155 experiences a bottleneck with pci-e lanes.

Back
Top Bottom