See you all in 2 weeks time

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm back

i'm back!

The Scout Jamboree was a fun.
The weather was nasty. Nights were cold. Days were hot. If it was not for the wind, there was a lot of dust. So most of the time I was walking around with a bandana accross my mouth and nose. So add the Akubra hat, and I looked like a Australian Bushranger. Especially this one night where there was a lot of rain and i was wearing the Dry-As-Bone.
Since I was on a flat piece of land in the middle of nowhere, it was extremely hard predict the weather.

The face of the Australian Jamboree, like our uniform, as changed alot. There was some activities which did make me question "What does this have to do with scouting". Like there was this one activity with involved smashing a car with a sledge hammer. And later on there was a mock up graffitti wall. Both of these made me think "WTF??"
There was some other thing that I was watching that has convinced me that a todays youth is just growing up a lot more faster these days. This is both a good and a bad thing.

First few days I was working with the media tent. However with a noon dead line on the news paper each day, it meant that I was going into a high stress situation each day. Plus there was some of the egos working there too.

So on the 4th day, I moved over to this thing called "Bushwacked" where I was putting kids into dune buggies and making them race around a track. The funny thing was that we were the highest risk activity on this base, and we had no sent to the hospital, let alone the first aid station. Meanwhile the other activities (BMX Bikes, Obsical Course) had lots of cuts and a few broken bones and a few trips of to the hospital.
AJ2007_buggy.jpg

Dune Buggy

AJ2007_buggy_harper.jpg

Harper in Dune Buggy

I was able to make new friends in with the young adult and adult members of the scouting movement.

Prices for drinks were crasy. $2.50 for a 300ml bottle of coke. So I went off site one day and picked up a slab of 24 cans of coke with worked out much cheaper.

In the end, with all the good things and all the bad things that happened, if some one ask me wether I would do this again, I would have to say I will.

So the next thing that is in my sight will be AJ2010 which will be held at Cataract Scout Park in NSW.

Apart from that, I got a few of the boys in my troop addicted to the comic book "RunAways" on the bus ride back.

welcome back harper! looks like you had a great time there. hope to catch you on vent sometime soon.

jorsoft03 said:
Sounds cool Harper, glad ya had fun

Did you get to bring back a dune buggie as a souvenir? Please say yes...
They wanted $2000 for the dune buggy. But after the $#!+ we put them through, the most I would pay would $400, and this getting a spare one.

Orginally we started off with 22 dune buggies. After the punishment that we and 8000 scouts put them through, we lost 6 of them, and the remaining ones where not sounding too healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom