Securing Your Wireless Network

A list to only allow certain MAC addresses is a nice addition.

That right there is the strongest security on most "domestic" routers. If you can nail down to a specific MAC address, then you're golden.

Firstly, their are programs to crack WPA encryption. *cough backtrack*
Secondly, MAC addresses could be spoofed.
Thirdly, adding the firewall block doesn't do crap.
Lastly, assigning private IP Addresses doesn't do jack either.

Go back to school.

Trolls like yourself really get on my nerves.
If you're going to help people on the forums, do so. But don't be an ass about it. Offer advice and information and leave it at that.

Configuring a firewall to block ports won't do anything if someone's cracking into your network. It would block your network from even changing information in the router thus messing up the whole configuration.

You really have lots to learn kid. No one here said that a firewall was the only protection on the network. I guess you don't really understand what a firewall is. I don't have the time to type out what its used for, but any smart system administrator knows that a firewall can be penetrated.

Its like your house, why do you bother locking your front door? If I wanted to gain entry, I will. Its the same principle of a firewall, you simply lock the doors you don't need open...but obviously if someone is serious enough to brute force their way into your network, they can. That goes for any security in-place on a network.

As you can see, there's no such thing as 100% fool-proof security. Its just there as a precaution.

[...]if you assign static IPs, and turn off DHCP, anyone who isnt allowed on your network wont be able to obtain an IP, and therefore cant use the network.[...]

All you would need to do is assign a static IP to your machine. Most LAN networks are 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx. You could, I suppose, assign odd IP addresses to your network equipment. (Granted, this isn't really important if you are using MAC filtering with WPA2, those would be the biggest obstacles.)

All you would need to do is assign a static IP to your machine. Most LAN networks are 192.168.0.xxx or 192.168.1.xxx. You could, I suppose, assign odd IP addresses to your network equipment. (Granted, this isn't really important if you are using MAC filtering with WPA2, those would be the biggest obstacles.)

most corporate or business networks ive seen (networks worth breaking in to) used Class A IP addressing, meaning that there are thousands of possible address ranges that could be used. The only neccessary factor i na class A private address is that it begins with 10. (eg. 10.x.y.z)

most corporate or business networks ive seen (networks worth breaking in to) used Class A IP addressing, meaning that there are thousands of possible address ranges that could be used. The only neccessary factor i na class A private address is that it begins with 10. (eg. 10.x.y.z)

It's true that such a range wide of IP address possibilities would make it virtually impossible manually enter one that would work. The original poster implies that certain security measures should be taken with your personal wireless network equipment. In the context of a home network it is very common to use a local IP address range of 192.168.0.1 to 255, or 192.168.1.1 to 255.

What is your local IP address?

Of course, if you are going to assign static IP addresses to your home network as a security measure you could, as I said before, use obscure local IP addresses.

Back
Top Bottom