Seagate Acquires Maxtor

Status
Not open for further replies.
NathanM said:
So one of the best bought one of the worst. Heh, interesting.
That sums it up. I just hope that Seagate just pulls the plug on maxtor

Seagate to keep Maxtor brand

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=58336&eid=4&edate=20060817
Seagate to keep Maxtor brand

Seagate Technology on Wednesday said it plans to pursue a dual-brand strategy in the wake of its US$1.9 billion acquisition of fellow hard-drive maker Maxtor.

Seagate, which closed its acquisition of Maxtor in May, will continue to use both the Seagate and Maxtor brands, with each having its own identity for a particular range of products, said Marc Jourlait, vice president of segment marketing for the storage vendor.

The aim is to maintain and differentiate the two brands similar to the way Hewlett-Packard does with its Pavilion and Presario brands, Jourlait said. Pavilion is a native HP brand, while Presario came via the Compaq acquisition.

"For customers, integrators and system builders, it's a matter of giving them choice," Jourlait said.

"The name, product and wraparound marketing will be separate. We want to capitalise on the fact that both brands have brand-name recognition."

The task of maintaining both brands won't be difficult, since there was little product overlap between the legacy Seagate and Maxtor organizations, according to Jourlait.

The Seagate brand will be used for leading technology, such as 750-Gbyte drives, hybrid drives with built-in flash memory cache and models with built-in encryption, he said.

"We continue to be six years ahead of everyone else in technology," Jourlait said. "We have the support for higher-end relationships, including the engineering support."

The Maxtor brand will be used for basic desktop and notebook PC hard drives. Maxtor previously didn't offer laptop drives, Jourlait said.

In October, Seagate plans to formally launch the Maxtor MobileMax notebook hard-drive line to complement its Momentus mobile PC drive line, he said.

Seagate also expects different buyers for the two brands, Jourlait added.

The company expects Seagate-branded products to appeal to tech-savvy customers seeking the latest technology and Maxtor-branded products to attract more price-conscious customers, he said.

As part of the new branding, Seagate will continue to support Maxtor's current customer base, as well as maintain and refocus Maxtor's DiamondMax product line.

The MobileMax line will include laptop hard drives in 40GB to 100GB capacities, while the Momentus brand will comprise 120GB and 160GB drives.

Seagate also plans to launch a new series of 40GB to 320GB hard drives under the DiamondMax line.

Going forward, Seagate plans to differentiate the Seagate and Maxtor brands as much as possible, Jourlait noted. "We don't want a direct comparison between the lines that people can arbitrage," he said.

That really strange. Most of the time you see one name dissappear while the other going on. Simulare to waht happened with Maxtor took over Quantium.

I guess that Seagate is going to star rebadging all the hard drives coming out of their china factory as MAXTOR now.

Most of my Seagate RMA are from their China Factory. I rarely see a Seagate RMA drive from the Tiawan factory.

At least with the Seagate still keeping the Maxtor name, I am a little bit at ease knowing that Seagate drives might not turn to $#!+.

The only good thing about Maxtor was Quantum, and they only really played a part in their scsi drives

MrCoffee said:
The only good thing about Maxtor was Quantum, and they only really played a part in their scsi drives
That's the problem.
Quantum was a very good drive..... and then they got taken over my maxtor.....

Seagate saying that they are going to keep the Maxtor name is strange. My attitude is "Yeah.... for how long?"
It's only going to be a matter of time before Seagate releases that keeping the 2 names is just a waste of their time and money. And then, it will be either SEAGATE or MAXTOR will be the only one standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom