sd sdhc ?

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
are sd and sdhc cards interchangeable? i do not know what the difference is, they both look the same in the blister packaging. i have a canon camera that uses a sd card,and i see the sdhc cards everywhere, and they usually have a higher storage that sd cards.

SD are cards smaller than 4GB. SDHC are cards 4GB and larger. They're physically the same; its just the amount of storage that's different.

Old cameras can't use some SDHC cards (or can only use up to a certain size). So depending on how old your camera is... check to see what the max size it can handle is.

SD are cards smaller than 4GB. SDHC are cards 4GB and larger. They're physically the same; its just the amount of storage that's different.

Old cameras can't use some SDHC cards (or can only use up to a certain size). So depending on how old your camera is... check to see what the max size it can handle is.

so if mine is only capable of using a 2gb card, and i buy a 4 gb, it will not work? that is weird. it would seem like if all the connections are the same on both cards, that they would all interchange. i am not questioning your knowledge, it just seems strange. electronics are to me, what an aliens body would be like to a doctor. strange and confusing!

It will either not recognize the card there, or only 2GB will be usable. Depends on how the software that the camera runs on works.

SD and SDHC are not the same thing. Just cause they are the same size and have the same connections doesnt make them interchangeable.

My car key is the same size as my borther in laws, but it doesnt start his car. Even though we have the same make and model car, we cant just use our key to start each others vehicle. Same concept.

Read the manual of your camera. If it says SD and not SDHC, then you can only use SD cards that are 2GB or less in size. 4GB are SDHC and will not work.

the manual does not say that it will not accept them. so i guess not. if i ever run into someone that has one, i would still like to try it out. my camera is old enough that they did not have the sdhc cards (at least in America) when it was made. but i will not take the chance to buy one, and end up with a card i can not use. thanks everyone for the help.

Back
Top Bottom