Scumbags punt Trojan with baby kidnap lure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Scumbags punt Trojan with baby kidnap lure

With a sick email malware campaign, pond dwelling scumbags are claiming to have kidnapped the children of would-be targets of infection.
The contemptible junk mail messages attempt to panic recipients into opening email attachment supposedly carrying images of abducted infants but in reality loaded with a variant of the Resex information stealing Trojan.

Net security firm Sophos reports that the malicious emails come with subject lines such as "We have hijacked your baby" and claim a $50,000 reward is needed for the child's safe return. Images of the email can be found here
Lucre-loving malware authors have few scruples using national or internal disasters or fictitious news events - up to and including the supposed outbreak of World War III - to punt their wares. But even by these debased standards, the Resex Trojan lure represents a new low.
Fortunately, few people have thus far fallen for the trick. Sophos said that incidents of infection by the Trojan remain, well, low.

Scumbags punt Trojan with baby kidnap lure | The Register

:laughing:

Right and if i know my baby is in the next room napping why would i bother to open the email. It would clearly be a scam. Just like those who dont have a child.

Not to clever of a scam.

hijacked.jpg

It's not to clever but it still isn't very nice of them. It also is a tiny bit funny *whistles*

If a parent receives this message at work, with an infant in daycare or with a nanny, it would, they would most likely bite.

If a parent receives this message at work, with an infant in daycare or with a nanny, it would, they would most likely bite.

I am sure they would first call the daycare or nanny first. Before they decided to take any action. I know if i got a email saying we have your baby i would have been on the phone faster than i could have opened the email.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom