SCSI RAID vs SATA???

myAMD

Beta member
I just got 6 10,000 RPM 18GB SCSI harddrives from a server....:D

I'm thinking on installing 4 of them on my system as RAID 0...but im wondering how the compare to sata raid? Anyone have a 4 drive sata configuration??

space is no prob..im good at modding my case for extra drive space

I'll be needing some 80-pin to 50-pin convertors..and there're real cheap so that isn't a prob

now all i need is a scsi card..im on a budget and dont wanna spend extra on a card i dont really need..anyone help me out on this?

oh another thing..whats a great utility to bench harddrives? :p

thanks!

IO Meter 2003, C't H2benchw, Winbench 99 2.0 that is what tomsharware used to benchmark their latest drive

dude I know they're expensive
I need to know which card to pick up on ebay..
around $100 would be
a reasonable price

I don't think you can RAID SCSIs, certainly not SATA RAID them - because they're not SATA.

You do need the Card basically :D its the only way you can get the SCSIs to work on your system so you'll need them. TigerDirect are quite cheap; I suppose you could try eBay, but they'll still be expensive on there and they'll be second hand... but if you have 6 then even if you pay full wack for a SCSI PCI Card then its well worth it.

LK of course you can raid them you dumb bafoon. You can always pick up a server mobo with onboard scsi. Me myself would just get SATA much better and advanced. 2x 74gb raptors 10k?

4 disk array SCSI RAID 0 system. Yeah...that's a lot of money. I would only use a Adaptec card in a 4 disk system. Plan on spending around $250 or more on a SCSI controller.

What kind of SCSI are these drives?
SCSI I
UW-SCSI
UW2-SCSI
Ultra160-SCSI
Ultra320-SCSI

FYI...UW2-SCSI and above have a larger uninterrupted bandwidth then any SATA drive.

SCSI is useless for home users. The SCSI format actually slows down without ECC Ram.... This is a common misunderstanding. Just because the SCSI drives output 15K RPMs DOES NOT mean they are any faster then SATA 10,000RPM drives which are many times larger. I wouldn't install that unless you have ECC ram, being that it will actually cause more problems then it will cause advantages. GL either way. :D

I know that is NOT true.

Also don't get bandwidth and speed confused.

SCSI is awesome, it is used by almost every server around the world for its benefits and performance.

Back
Top Bottom