SCSI / ATAPI device conflict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezu

Beta member
Recently, I removed an old 2x2x6 CDRW which was connected to the SCSI bus in my computer, and replaced it with a new 40x12x48 CDRW, which is connected to the EIDE bus in my computer. The old CDRW drive used Direct CD v2.5, and Easy CD Creator v3.5 software, which I uninstalled. The new CDRW used the Nero software which came with the drive.

Everything seemed to work just fine, the new CDRW drive would burn CD's without a problem, no lock-ups, etc.. But then later, when I tried to back up my hard drive to a DDS tape drive which is connected to the SCSI bus, I discovered that the tape drive at some point during the back-up process, would lock up and become unresponsive, with the tape drive's "busy" light blinking rapidly. Cancelling the back up operation wouldn't stop this, only turning the tape drive off, and then back on, would, and of course that means aborting the back up.

This appears to be some kind of driver conflict, but really, I don't have a clue.

Some of the things I have done in an attempt to get the tape drive working again, but which have not helped:

1. Manually searched for, and removed all known traces of the old Adaptec DirectCD and Easy Creator software.
2.Removed the Nero software.
3. Using the W'98 System Properties/Device Manager removing the CDRW device.
4. Removing the Adaptec DirectCD and Nero registry keys.
5. Opening up the computer and physically disconnecting the CDRW from the EIDE bus.
6. Reseated the SCSI cables connecting all the SCSI devices.

The other SCSI devices I have connected to the SCSI bus seem to be working just fine.

I know that The DirectCD and Nero software do not mix, but I have uninstalled all of this software, and it hasn't helped. It appears that the problem I am having concerns some system files which may have been changed in some way?

I am at the point where my next step is to wipe out the hard drive with my recovery CD, and start over.

It seems to me that somebody should have already had this problem, and maybe found a fix for it. So how about it? Can anybody help?

I am using:
IBM Thinkpad 650 laptop connected to a SelectadockIII docking station.
256 MB RAM, PIII@650 mhz, 12 GB hd
The old CDRW was a Yamaha 2x2x6 SCSI drive.
The new one is a LiteOn LTR450125S EIDE drive.
The LiteON was connected to the secondary EIDE bus as the master (in the docking station).
The SCSI adapter card is an Adaptec AHA2940AU

Found the problem!

Hello everybody.

It looks like I found my own problem. Apparently, when I disconnected the old SCSI CDRW drive, and installed the new E-IDE CDRW drive, I forgot to replace the terminator on the internal SCSI bus. A dumb mistake, I know, but what can I say? :rolleyes: I replaced the terminator, and the tape drive is working fine. I might have been more focused on the SCSI bus, but the other devices on the bus were working just fine, making me think it was more likely a software conflict of some kind. Ouch!

Found the problem!

Hello everybody.

It looks like I found my own problem. Apparently, when I disconnected the old SCSI CDRW drive, and installed the new E-IDE CDRW drive, I forgot to replace the terminator on the internal SCSI bus. A dumb mistake, I know, but what can I say? :rolleyes: I replaced the terminator, and the tape drive is working fine. I might have been more focused on the SCSI bus, but the other devices on the bus were working just fine, making me think it was more likely a software conflict of some kind. Ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom