screwy router?

Status
Not open for further replies.

machiavelli

Baseband Member
i have 2 computers on my wirless network for the house and ive had no troubble with them before but today the main router decided to restart its self and i thought nothing of it, but later in the day when someone signed onto a comp in the house usuing the wirless network they wernt able to find the network.....how would i go about making the computers find the router again? thanks for the help :)

Can you provide us with the brand and model of your router and also if you look on the router there should be a sticker that will tell you the H/W version and maybe the firmware version. We need all that information.

We also need to know what operating system the computers are using, what ISP you have, are you using DHCP on the router, what type of security setting you have in place for the wireless feature.

I know you're looking for a quick solution so here it is from me. You can always unplug and plug the power for the router; this should reboot it if something goes wrong. And you can right click on your network connection and select repair. If this doesn't work then provide the information above.

the easiest way is to log onto the router locally , so if you do not have a pc connected to the router, take the router to a pc. connect a ct5 cable between the WAN port and the pc, nothing else. You may want to reset the router, in fact i would. then from the pc connected directly to the router. I would open a comand prompt. type in ipconfig /release , then wait for results, type in
ipconfig /renew , take note of the ip address, also take note of the gateway address. You then will go to your browser on the pc connected to the router. start IE click on the little red x in the top task bar, type in the gateway address into IE s address bar, click go, each router password / user name combo is different. fot each router usually admin password, (nothing) password, administrator password. You have to try or go to the manufacturers web site. First you want to make sure you can connect, then set security WPA is better thab WEP.

the pc you were using, when you connect it back, do a release / renew on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom