Screen distortion (gfx card?)

PaulF

Solid State Member
I managed to get a screenshot of my problem, however when taking the screenshot it gets better to a degree. Therefore my problem is slightly more extreme than the photo.

http://www.lierox.net/etc/gfx.jpg

Video card overheating?
I have the Radeon 9600 256mb (8X). It has a working fan on it and it is NOT overclocked. Running default settings.

I don't see how it would be overheating but this is the only thing I can think of.

My drivers are all up to date and I have had this card for about 6 months. It has happened once before about a month ago, I turned off the PC for a day and it went back to normal. Until recently, it started acting up again.

I use that screenshot for an example, but the problem exists during ANY activity and I also get a constant thick horizontal (slightly transparent) line that travels from the top of my screen to the bottom about once every second. Could this be related?

PaulF

Solid State Member
Alright, you may be correct.
But this could be a coincidence. My Television is right next to my monitor. I turn my TV on, I get interferance and "artifacting", I turn it off and it goes away.
I didn't know EMI would cause something like "artifacting" but rather just flickering and shadowed edges. So I moved my desk about 2 extra feet away and now it's perfectly fine.

hmph, I still want a new card since this one is "Visiontek" and a cheapy. Are there any decent cards I can get for under $150?

Don

Solid State Member
That happened to me on my laptop, I found out that is was a problem with one of my Ram sticks, I took it out and it fixed it. I have no idea what it has to do with ram..