Scanner that can make smaller size files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darsunt

In Runtime
I recently bought a scanner to create documents to send on the internet. The scanner works fine, but the files are rather large. One small page can be 350 k, while I've received a high quality document with over a dozen pages and a size of only 140 k.
I presume the problem is my model, which is canon canoscan lide 100. It works, and it is cheap, but do I need a more expensive model to make pdf files both small and high quality? My wife and I have been all over the present settings, and we cannot seem to improve things. For example, we can make shrink a single page small document from 350 k to 200 k but it becomes almost unreadable.

Thanks

Yeah, if you have the full driver set and not just the base settings to make it work, there will usually be a setting for dpi which will, when lowered, drop the file size significantly.

We have tried lowering the dpi from 300 (the default) to 150. It made the documents crappy and it did not reduce file size sufficiently.
We suspect it is the scanner, because I know running a scan on a printer at kinko's has a similar file size program. Is it possible different scanners use pdf more efficiently than others? I'd like to know before investing money in a more expensive scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom