ScanDisk

Bmo

Solid State Member
Ok, so I had my 200Gb harddrive defragmenting when the power went out. I turned on the computer and a ScanDisk I arranged for next reboot started up. It has been going for the past 5 hours and is encountering massive bad sectors. Should I continue the ScanDisk or will it lead to corrupted data? When I get back into windows, I plan on running defragment again.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention. The action it is performing is "replacing bad sectors" My question is will it make those files replace unusable? Should I allow it to continue.

Let it run. Being that you had a power outage during a defrag, it probably screwed up the OS.

But then, I sometimes like to play fast and loose with my comp. I would probably stop it and see what happens when it reboots. Might just end up having to reformat and reinstall the OS. I wouldn't recommend stopping it though if you have files and such you need to get from the drive.

I stopped it and started the comp back up...Everything goes insanely slow (2-3minutes to open a program). I've started defrag again and I'm going to let that run all the way through then download diskkeeper and hit it with tuneup 2007...Will any of that screw me over or not help me?

also run a checkdisk to make sure things are some-what ok.

open command prompt. this can be done by typing cmd in the run window. type chkdsk /r and press enter.

it will tell you that it needs to be done on next boot, and asks your permission to do it then, type y, hit enter.

I would have let it finish, there was obviuosly something up for it to start in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom