say whaaaaaaat?

I like how you pick my posts apart despite others clearly agreeing with me. You degraded your own thread IMO.

"How can we make the desktop more exciting?"
"By turning everything into mobile!!"
"Uh no, desktop is here to stay..."
"No it's not you're crap shooting my ideas!"

We'll go back to your original idea about the Surface Pro. Firstly, why oh why would a dual core be ok over a quad or more for standard computing? Company image or not, the device even using standard Windows 10 browsing the internet isn't that quick. I leave all heavy tasks to my main PC or workstation at work, but I'd like to see somebody edit a 2,000 page PDF on a Surface Pro lol. We use SCCM too, but our image is corporate wide. The largest defense contract for The United States, which includes every Lockheed Martin location with multiple configurations and standards. Next year it'll be worse, as we're going to start Windows 10 testing in December to have one standard image for each machine company wide, tablet included. You also forgot about encryption, which for a company like ours is required on every mobile device that can be taken out of the facility. Encryption kills drive and CPU performance. It's great for at home use, but work use? Not really. Maybe in 5-10 years after desktop like performance can be transferred to mobile devices, which is the original timeline you gave the standard desktop anyways.

The problem is you saw an argument to be had and wanted to roll with it, yet my side got support so now I'm to blame. Typical.

Edit: And before you want to bring up the home user debate, I still know a ton of people who prefer to use a computer over a mobile device for most internet browsing. With the corporate space pushing real sales for OEMs and the consumers being the little guys I don't see mobile being a foreseeable risk to desktops in the near future. Not to mention, Intel has my back as I had an expo with them and Toshiba today and asked them what their opinion on it was. Intel: "I see mobile usage taking off as time progresses, but for when we want serious work done I still see the desktop being the prime candidate for a large screen and more raw power for the task at hand". Toshia: "I would love for our mobile devices to be used on a more regular basis but the fact is companies like this fill our wallets with workstation buyouts even at a discount. We could make more money [honestly] if mobile took over due to less in production costs, but let's be real, the power is in the desktop for the user". Can't really say it better myself besides what's already been said about alternatives.

I had quite a bit written here. Been typing and reviewing what I was going to post for....30 minutes or so. But decided not to post it. Decided on below instead

Honestly though, I'm just playing devils advocate here. Your post was the most interesting to me, so I went with it. Tried a little trolling too, haven't done that in a while. Tends to bring out emotions in people, I like to see if they can set emotions aside and talk about the subject with an unbias opinion.

You do provide valid, strong points about the desktop. Something I wasn't seeing with other posts (not all mind you!). You're obviously experienced so I tried to dig and push buttons. Ya it got a bit off track, time to put it back on the rails. That's my fault, I didn't steer the conversation as good as I thought I was.

The only thing I didn't like was you tend to reference your own network a little too much. I was referencing mine too, without trying to give too much away. I work in Gov't, and do as well, have many, many requirements that you're talking about. Also discussed this post with my boss, he got some more insight as well as to how things are done elsewhere.

And I'm glad you seem to have a strong relationship with Intel, but please don't get stuck in any businesses "oh we're perfectly fine" statement. If they are needing to say that....something's not lookin' good. You need to know when to cut the chord with a supplier and find a better technology.

Back
Top Bottom