Saving scanned pictures from Word docs as jpegs

zensufi

Beta member
I've got a bit of an oddball question. A friend scanned a number of pictures into Word documents (no idea how this works) and would like to upload them to Yahoo photos. The scanner software has essentially pasted them into a Word document, one photograph per page. I tried selecting an individual picture and copying and pasting it into paint, but the colors come out really weird.

The only solution I've found is:

1. Print Screen when viewing a picture in Word
2. Paste into Paint
3. Select area where picture is
4. Right click and select "Copy To" and save (this saves as bitmap)
5. Open in another program and save as jpeg

This is quite laborious. Why, in my first idea, do the colors come out strange, and is there a faster way to do this?

Thank you,

Brian

The program, that you use, with your scanner. There should be an option like, open scanned image with ____. If there is, just do paint, or photo and fax viewer. Then you can save it as JPeg.

Not sure if this answers your questions. But if you wanna change the file type of a picture just got to paint paste the picture, go to save as type name.filename

Well, my friend, I did the same, but pasted in paint shop pro to count the colors, and the image went from 52,719 colors in the original to only 69 colors in the pasted from Word.
No doubt that it has to look strange...

Must be the way pictures are handled in word, as word actually saves the images within the file which I think is rather good, though it must do something to the images file in a way to make it work right...

Anyway, its weird the scanners saving into word... is there a program you can choose while scanning to save into? Or to save as standard files in a folder?

That's the problem...

That would certainly cause the effect I'm seeing, r53s. Is there a different program I can paste an image to or a way to change Paint's settings?

Thank you,

Brian

Strangley I've opened up Paint, and can't find any colour settings except for either having the picture in colour or black and white..

Its definietly the way word saves the files though within it.

I have a feeling why its doing it in Word though. Is your mate by any chance in word at the time, and going to Insert, Picture, From scanner or camera? I think so, so in this case, go to Start,Programs, Accessories, and go to Scanner and Camera Wizard instead.

It should now load up allowing you to preview from the scanner and save images scanned as JPEG or Bitmap files for your use to use anywhere, letting you skip the laborious process of Word, and then Paint.

I hope this helps :)

Thanks Kage. I asked him how he scanned the pictures and he did it correctly and THEN added the extra step of putting them in a Word document and deleting the original files.

He thought it would be easier.

Whoops.

I've given him my solution and also that he can rescan everything, but that's about it unless there's a different program to paste it into.

Oh well.

Thanks for everyone's help!

I've got it...
The count only dropped to 50,776 colors...
What you have to do is the following...
Get paint shop pro 8.1...
Open your image in word in a size that it is all visible (you can adjust in the same percent adjustments as for letters)...
Then let it as it is and open paint shop, go file/import/screen capture/setup/capture now and the program goes to the opened word file...
Next you right click to set a cross and then left click to begin a rectangle that defines the shape of the picture that is being copied to paint shop...
Last, save it in jpg or tiff...
As you can see, the lost in colors is minimal compared to the other way...

Yeah Paintshop Pro or Photoshop is the best soloution for editing pictures.

If he wanted to group the pictures though, no need using word :p Just put them into a zip file made in windows, by right clicking a group and going to Send, Compressed Zip Folder, which could be sent over MSN, etc unlike a folder which would open up to select files.

Another way to group them could be to creat some kind of picture ablum? There are many programs that do this, though Windows XP has quite a good picture editor:

Simply right click the image file and go to , open in, and then Picture viewer. This lets you edit them jusing simple settings, and flip, etc and allows you to cycle through all the pictures in the folder you open it in. You can then (a sueful feature) get it to print all the images in the folder or just a few, and crop them to fit the A4 fully, etc, or print them out as wallet snaps :D

I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom