SATA to USB

Hey fellas,

I ditched my previous laptop (2010 Lenovo Y560) this summer and recently bought a 14" Lenovo Flex 2. There was quite a bit of information on my previous hard drive that I'd like to transfer to my new laptop. Unfortunately, I do not have a way to connect the hard drive to my new laptop.

I own an external hard drive which I could attempt to disassemble and temporarily substitute my old laptop's hard drive to extract the information. Alternatively, I was considering purchasing a SATA to USB adapter, but not an enclosure. I think this would be a useful tool to own.

Any recommendations for a specific brand? My laptop has a USB 3.0 port and I would like to take full advantage of it should I get the SATA to USB converter.

That is all,

Thanks,

Joga

EDIT: I was think about something like this.

Last edited:
Update: I ended up ordering what I posted in my link from Amazon. I had a few things I was buying from there and I decided that $20 dollars wouldn't be so bad compared to $15 + shipping.

Quick review: It worked great! It came with a power cable, which in my opinion is better than having the unit powered via USB. The USB 3.0 connection was very fast. I copied and pasted with read/write speeds of 90 MB/s.

How did I miss this thread?

It came with a power cable, which in my opinion is better than having the unit powered via USB.

That's what I would've warned you about. Some of these 'ultrabook' style laptops can't even power on a 2.5 internal connected via adapter alone. My yoga can't in either port and wont do large externals unless plugged into the wall.

Back
Top Bottom