SATA Problems, Boot Disk Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

nebulous

Beta member
I know what you're thinking, "Are you sure that you have set the right boot priorities?" - yes, I have checked that many times. I have been desperately trying to get this SATA drive to work for weeks now and I have made little progress, I myself have never dealt with SATA before, but it seemed like the way to go for a new HDD.

To clarify, here are the specs, and my problem.

Asus M2N-E AM2 Nforce 570 Ultra
2x1GB Corsair PC2-5300 DDR2-667
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ EE AM2 Windsor 2.2GHZ
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320G SATA2
EVGA E-GeForce 7600 GT KO 580MHZ 256MB 128BIT 1.5GHZ GDDR3
Samsung SH-S182 DVD+RW
(No floppy drive)

I have been using an old Maxtor 80GB from a few years ago with Win2k, and just recently purchased the SATA drive and some extra ram. On my first try with the drive, I tried installing Win2k, but everytime I got to the set up / format / partitioning, it only registered at 103GB as opposed to the full 320GB (Win2k still does not register it properly). I ran my old IDE as the master, and was unable to detect the SATA drive in windows, and could not find any answers to why it was not detected or displayed the proper amount of space. Next, I tried installing XP.

At first things seemed to be going well, XP detected the full capacity of the drive at 320GB, which I have split into 3 Partitions:

SATA2
D: System (50GB)
E: Media (200GB)
F: Backup - Recovery (50GB)

IDE
C: Local Disk (80GB)

I used an friends copy of XP to format and install, which always stopped installing on a file named mobsync (I dont remember the file extension), and prompted me to retry which always worked the second time.

From this point on, when running the SATA drive as the only / primary drive I recieved the "BOOT DISK FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK THEN PRESS ENTER" message. I assume the XP disk was the one it was asking for but did not go anywhere. The only time I was able to use the drive, was if I set the old 80GB IDE as the primary boot, then ran XP off the SATA. Also, the SATA drive is showing up under the Removable Disks icon on the bottom of my task bar.

When booting off the 80GB IDE and running Win2k, the SATA drive was only displayed as one unformatted drive (D: ). Upon trying to install Win2k on the system partition, each was displayed as unformatted / corrupted, displaying their proper capacities of 50GB, 200GB, 50GB in windows setup, but the drive capacity was only set at 103GB again.

To be honest I am absolutely stuck. I dont know if SATA2 even works with Win2k, as it doesnt seem to be able to set up properly from the get go. Again, SATA technology is new to me, so please tell me if there is something I am missing here, ie. compatability or conflict issues. Both copies of Win2k and XP are BURNED, I have no idea where the originals are anymore and Im sure that they have been loaned to other people long ago. I was hoping to buy either Vista and have a completly genuine windows again, but I also use an Ipod (Im sure everyone knows about the problems with Vistas and Ipods) and play a fair ammount of games.

ANY help would be appreciated, I am going into the store tomorrow after school to try and ask what I can do about this, if this is a common problem or not, etc. I know this is somewhat of a large and complicated problem, but I have tried to explain things as clearly as possibly. Again, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Are you installing your SATA controllers when the windows installer asks for third party software. At the very start hit F6 and have your cdrom or floppy disk with the sata drivers on it. After that is done and when you reboot hit F3 for sata fast build utility and set your boot disk. Also make sure you have the BIOS set to use the sata. I'm sure you have done these things but just some ideas.

The drive came with no controllers or disks, like I said before I also have no floppy drive. SATA is enabled in bios, but the problem occurs when I try and boot windows from the SATA drive without support from the original IDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom