sata ll hard drive and winxp pro compatable?

I just use the xp pro cd and boot from that and it says press any key to boot from cd which usually seems to work? but not this time. does it have to be xp pro 64 bit version since the vista home premium is 64 bit? :confused:

d is actually a separate partiton on drive c which is the main drive i think it's just a backup of the OS. sure beats me. LOL! :)
That'll be the recovery partition

I just use the xp pro cd and boot from that and it says press any key to boot from cd which usually seems to work? but not this time. does it have to be xp pro 64 bit version since the vista home premium is 64 bit? :confused:
Nope, doesn't have to be XP 64bit.

What puzzles me is why it won't run in its original configuration e.g. one hdd

Have you changed any settings in the bios that you have not mentioned?

hello! i haven't changed anything in bios and have tried setting every thing to default values also. i'm going to keep trying though! i hate this vista with a passion. it's just way too slow as well as being incompatible with so much software. Thanks again! :)

well, i can unhook second hard drive and still boot up! i guess i've made some progress but, when i remove wires from main drive to the second one it still won't accept the xp pro? i mounted an external usb floppy drive and all floppies went in except the last one #6. as soon as i put it in it went straight to the windows has shut down to keep from damaging my pc? i guess i need to copy down everything on that screen and post that. maybe that might have some clues that i don't understand. :confused:

this also shows up on the error screen STOP 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0XF78360BF, 0xF7C82208, 0xF7C81F08)

pci.sys - Address F78360BF base at F782F000, Date Stamp 35701855C

At last, an error code, tell me, is the XP you're trying to install SP1? nearly all instances of this error I've found says that the fix is to use a disk with XP SP2 on it.

Here's the Google result, common theme is use a disk with SP2

LINK

the disc i have doesn't even have sp1 so, your right! i have the sp2 disc i ordered if i could just combine the two onto one dvd. i know some people have done it but, i wouldn't know where to start. so, it looks like i'm stuck with this awful vista. Thanks very much for all of your help finding the problem. :)

There are plenty of guides on the web on how to slipstream an XP install disk, hopefully that will cure your problem, I hope it works out for you.

Cheers

well, i think iwasted another 200 bucks today. i bought a winxp home with sp2 full install all goes well till it gets to the part where it says your computer will reboot in 14 seconds. instead of rebooting, it says operating system failed to boot? i guess the system files needed to boot up with are not going on the hard drive could this be the problem? if so, does anyone know of any good links that might help me resolve the problem? i'm so close but still can't get the job done. Thanks for any help! :(

Back
Top Bottom