Sata 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

softhunder

Baseband Member
Hi

I know that a sata2 harddisk can transfer data at 300 mbps My only question is that can man attach a SATA 2 hard drive to a SATA 1 connector and how much difference in performance can it make if i chose SATA 2 over SATA 1.

It doesnt matter which kind of cable you use.. The limitation of harddrive throughput isnt due to the interface. Its due to the hard drive themselves. In order to pull 300mbps of data off a drive it would have to be spinning at about 50,000 rpm

But i m not talking about the connector. I m talking about Samsung spin point Sata2 harddsik . Its data transfer rate is 300 mbps and i was wondering if i could use it with my Asus P5AD2E Premium and if it would do any good to the speed of my system.

No. No current hard drive can even use up all the bandwidth in SATA1.

Probably for the following reasons:

1) For n00bs who only look at numbers that really dont mean much of anything.

2) For future technologies that might be released that will make use of the bandwidth.

It will work, but there is no point in getting it. I would recomend getting a Seagate or western digital hdd.

softhunder said:
But i m not talking about the connector. I m talking about Samsung spin point Sata2 harddsik . Its data transfer rate is 300 mbps and i was wondering if i could use it with my Asus P5AD2E Premium and if it would do any good to the speed of my system.

i guess what i was saying is... it doesnt matter because it isnt going to give you the performance you're expecting. So to answer your question, no. it will not help the speed of your system at all. A drive that get 75mbs on sata 1 is gonna get 75mbs on sata2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom