Samsung Displays Updated Fuel Cell for Notebooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kharn

Lord Techie,

Samsung's slimmer fuel cell design can power a notebook for up to a month.

Toshiba and Samsung have been working on ways to rid customers of traditional lithium-ion batteries used in notebook computers. Both companies are looking towards fuel cells and the technology is very promising.

Samsung displayed a version of its Direct Methanol Fuel Cell (DMFC) in late December that was capable of powering a Q35 ultra-portable notebook eight hours a day for a month. The fuel cell, which contained an energy density of 650Wh/L and total energy storage of 1,200Wh, was contained in a rather large box that was nearly as wide as the notebook and roughly twice as tall.

Samsung has made great strides to perfect its DMFC and recently showcased an even smaller design at its company showroom. Samsung appears to have shaved a few inches off the device in length/width/height. The DMFC now looks to be roughly the size of a couple of extended batteries stacked side by side.

Samsung reports that the fuel cell is still capable of operating a notebook for up to a month.

Despite the advances being made in fuel cell technology, we are still a few years away from fuel cells being commercially viable.

"Though we still need to solve ‘going smaller and sturdier' issues, I think that we have made a technical quantum leap in commercialization," said SAIT VP Dr. Hyuk Change in November. "Within 2~3 years, the fuel cells including those for laptops currently in development with Samsung SDI will be widely used as it is forecasted to acquire a stable market with lower price lines."

5642_3408_large_(1228)dm_l.jpg

Samsung DMFC circa 2006 (Source: Samsung)

5643_fuelcell.jpg

Samsung DMFC circa 2007 (Source: AVING USA)

Source.

Finaly a Laptop battery that has some life.

That's pretty cool. Once they manage to get it smaller and make it rechargeable it'll revolutionize mobile computing.

^ To say the least, I have always wanted a battery that lasts longer than a hour, hour an a half. I am no Starbucks author but I use my laptop away from my house all the time and I am bummed that I have to stop and swap a battery every now and then.

But also Imagen what else it would revolutionise, Cars that are not reliant on petrol, Also consider what will it inspire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom