Samsung 7 Chronos running Linux - Blank screen and keyboard nor working on boot

oveoyas

Beta member
Hello!

I am new to this forum and am posting this because I have simply run out of ideas myself. I have an almost new (4 months old) Samsung 7 Chronos laptop (NP700Z5C) running Fedora 17. This friday, I decided to take a look at the new Kubuntu release and burned a live cd that I booted from without any problems. I did not install anything, I only ran Kubuntu from the CD. The next day, however, I could not get my laptop to boot again, neither from the hard drive nor from the CD. It seems to start and run just fine - the blue light indicating that it is on is glowing - but the screen is black and the keyboard seems dead. The cd spins as the laptop is turned on.

I have tried multiple things. I have held f2 during startup to try and get to bios, but this has no effect, probably because the keyboard is dead. I have also tried connecting an external keyboard and done the same thing without an effect. I have tried connecting the laptop to an external monitor using hdmi (it does not have vga or dvi), also without results. In addition, the cd is stuck inside, as the eject button is on the keyboard. The last thing I tried last night was resetting the EC (embedded controller) by clicking the reset button that is hidden in a small hole underneath the laptop using a paperclip. This did reset the EC, because I had to wait a few minutes and replug the AC cord before being able to start the computer again. This did not have any effect however, and the problem persists.

Does anyone know how I might be able to get my laptop to boot again? I have tried calling support, but they were less than helpful and I therefore hope that I might find someone more knowledgeable here. Being without a laptop (not to mention some of my most recent files, of which I do not have a backup) is a major crisis for me right now, so any help will be greatly appreciated!

The only thing I can think of is to remove any other devices that may be plugged in like flash drives or DVDs (but yours is stuck which may be the issue.). Does your computer have a caps lock light? If it does, when it is turned on, see if it blinks on and off when you are pressing the caps key, that will tell you if your motherboard is receiving input or not, which would narrow the list of potential problems.

Other than that, try to power cycle it by removing the battery and AC Adapter and pressing the power button a bunch of times to remove any excess charge. Then wait a minute and put the battery and ac adapter back in, turn it on and see if it boots.

Then after that, I would try removing the RAM and then turning it on to see if the computer gives you any POST beeps.

Try some of those steps and see if any of it helps us solve the issue.

Try to get that disk out, it may be trying to read off it...

Power Cycles, reducing RAM would be options to try

The HDD isn't clicking? All I can think of is that the Live Disk did something to the original OS.

Back
Top Bottom