SAM Files

N_350Z

In Runtime
I'm in the registry editor. What's the easiest way to get passwords out of a SAM file?

you cant do it in windows
although if you have forgotten your win xp pass
i am assuming this is because you forgot your pass
you can accomplish this with knoppix-STD

I'm in the registry editor. What's the easiest way to get passwords out of a SAM file?

The easiest way is to use a program called pwdump2 (or pwdump6) to dump the passwords in to a text file that most cracking programs understand :)

We have a nifty utility at Geek Squad that removes passwords for us.. ;-)

I can't release much information on it (policy) but I'm sure you can find a similar utility.

I know there is a site that allows you to boot off a floppy, and it writes the registry hives to the floppy.. then decrypts the password for you.

We have a nifty utility at Geek Squad that removes passwords for us.. ;-)

I can't release much information on it (policy) but I'm sure you can find a similar utility.

I know there is a site that allows you to boot off a floppy, and it writes the registry hives to the floppy.. then decrypts the password for you.

Emergency Boot CD Pro from http://www.ebcd.pcministry.com/ also resets windows passwords. Make sure to read what it says, as if you dont it won't save the changes ;)

Also windows passwords cannot be simply decrypted, they need to be cracked. You could fit a brute force program on a floppy disc (possibly), but you couldnt get a true fast cracking program on a floppy disc.

The most common way to crack just about any windows password is thru "Rainbow tables" using a program such as rainbowcrack or ophcrack. Both require HUGE tables, I got 70GB of tables dedicated to cracking windows passwords personally.

Back
Top Bottom