Salvaging memory after damage.

Warren82

Beta member
Recently I accidentally spilled some water on my motherboard while I was blowing dust out of my computer. I took it in to a local computer store and they found that there were a few vital components that were irreparably damaged, the USB ports, the controller and possibly other things..

I just purchased a refurbished HP on ebay and I wanted to know if I could salvage the 2 512mb memory sticks from the damaged computer and put them in the hp. Both computers have DDR1 memory slots so I'm not worried about compatibility. I'm worried that the water damage might have hurt the memory sticks and that putting the memory sticks from the old computer into the new computer might somehow damage the new computer. Is this a possibility? Is there another possible danger in doing this swap that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance

If the memory have no burned or discolored contacts, I'm sure they should be safe to try. Just make sure they are clean and dry before inserting them.

Well nothing's certain in this world, but I would've thought you'd be very unlucky if the motherboard was damaged in any way shape or form. I've certainly never damaged one through dud memory. As said above just make sure that the contacts look ok and that the memory's dry before putting it in the new board.

Recently I accidentally spilled some water on my motherboard while I was blowing dust out of my computer. I took it in to a local computer store and they found that there were a few vital components that were irreparably damaged, the USB ports, the controller and possibly other things..

I just purchased a refurbished HP on ebay and I wanted to know if I could salvage the 2 512mb memory sticks from the damaged computer and put them in the hp. Both computers have DDR1 memory slots so I'm not worried about compatibility. I'm worried that the water damage might have hurt the memory sticks and that putting the memory sticks from the old computer into the new computer might somehow damage the new computer. Is this a possibility? Is there another possible danger in doing this swap that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance
It should be OK.. I wouldnt be supprised if the RAM didnt work, but i would be VERY supprised if it damaged your new Mobo, as long as the RAM modules are dry.

Where abouts in the world are you located, Warren?

I agree. It shouldn't hurt the new mobo. Just make sure they look clean and aren't burnt up.

Back
Top Bottom