Safe to Overclock?

G9

Daemon Poster
Okay, using PC Wizard 2006, I got the following readings:

1. Processor: 32C
2. Mainboard: 29C

In Faranheit, 32, the highest, is 89F. So my question is, are the temperatures cool enough to overclock? I've got two Xeon processors running at a pre-configured clock of 3.4ghz. Also, is PC Wizard 2006 an accurate temperature-reading program? And finally, where can I find a temperature reader of video cards? I have an ATI FireGL V7100.

I would say Yes to overclocking. Those are normal temperatures and you shouldn't run too much hotter once you overclock.

How much should I overclock the processors to? Also, how can I find the temps of my vid card?

So far I haven't found a way to get the temperature readings out of the videocard. As for the overclocking, you have about 3 degrees of wiggle-room for an idle temperature. Overclock it as much as you feel safe doing, but make sure a full load temperature doesn't exceed 55 degrees (celsius of course).

Do you think shifting to 3.8ghz is a safe move?

I'm also considering getting a liquid cooling kit, as my case is giant... it's as big as the TJ07 and features 4 5.25" bays... I could stick the resevoir in there with plenty of space left.

I would say, with a liquid cooling kit, go for it. I would recommend a water cooling kit if you decide to overclock to 3.8 ghz.

I apparently have a socket 478... and its compatible with this thank god... but as I have two processors, I'll need another block. Reading the compatibility note below, I figured they meant this... is that correct?

Also... I got a prebuilt computer, and hence they already put a heatsink/fan on the proc. With thermal paste, I'm assuming. Can I remove those?

Back
Top Bottom