Sad when quit smoking or else this may happen gets to this crap...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay fine. Don't drive your car near my city. It's fumes smell bad and are killing people. It's killing the planet too. All those moving, shard metal objects aren't very safe either.

Driving a car doesn't usually make people want to not hang out with you because you smell bad ;).

All those moving, shard metal objects aren't very safe either.

the comparison between cars and cigarettes is invalid, yes cars are dangerous but we REQUIRE them for daily use, to get us to and from work/play/whatever...so we take the risk...we wouldn't drive the car if there was no point in it all, kind of like cigarettes ....there is NO point in inhaling nicotine filled smoke. so your comparison is null. i dont know why you keep trying to say that smoking isn't bad for you, even after years of professionally discovered evidence points to the opposite. Not to mention the first-hand personal experience of people like myself and Trotter seeing what effects it has,not only on the smoker, but the smoker's family.

In the UK, the government pays for everyone's healthcare (give or take), and as Oreo said, smoking-related illnesses cost them £3.1billion last year. And they received £10billion in revenue from the thing that caused them. Our government is in profit through smoking. And so is yours (I assume). That's why they don't ban it.

Smoking is illegal in all workplaces here, doesn't matter if the owner wants to allow it, they can't. That includes pubs, restaurants, company-owned vehicles and private members-only clubs. It hasn't stopped people smoking, but it has improved the health of non-smoking bar staff, and created a "popping out for ***" (yes, I know, but that's what we call them!) culture and scores of tables in bars with one lonely non-smoker waiting for their friends to come back...

EDIT: Ha, the word Eff A Gee is banned. Well, I was talking about cigs, not being rude.

Off Topic:

But free health care is a con. We pay National Health Insurance tax, so we do pay, basically. I'm not quite sure of the taxing rate, but assuming it's around £1000 a year, people say "It's still better than the US, where you'd pay many thousands just for one broken arm for example" the thing is, many people, such as me, will go through much of their life not needing to go to hospital. I am nearly 16 and have never once visited the doctors or hospital, neither has my dad in the past 16 years. Yet he still has to pay this tax everyyear, so i'm guessing they actually make money from the majority of people.

Free health insurance..pff :p I think you will find it cheeper to pay on a per visit/healthproblem basis than have the so called "free healthcare".

Anyway, back on topic.

In my opinion, smoking is fine IF it is done with regard for other people and not done alot. It is bad when people smoke with no care and take 50 a day. But then i also don't have a problem with the use of illegal drugs for recreational use, drugs like Excstacy are infact very safe, approximately half a million people take 'E' regularly in the UK yet only 14died from it last year. The ratio of people that drink and have drink related problems is far higher, as is smoking and even horse riding. If any drug should be legal, it should be excstasy.

the comparison between cars and cigarettes is invalid, yes cars are dangerous but we REQUIRE them for daily use, to get us to and from work/play/whatever...so we take the risk...we wouldn't drive the car if there was no point in it all, kind of like cigarettes ....there is NO point in inhaling nicotine filled smoke. so your comparison is null. i dont know why you keep trying to say that smoking isn't bad for you, even after years of professionally discovered evidence points to the opposite. Not to mention the first-hand personal experience of people like myself and Trotter seeing what effects it has,not only on the smoker, but the smoker's family.

I never said it caused zero harm. I just said people take it to an extreme. I have people in my family that are dying of smoke related illnesses. BUT many more of died because of drinking/cars/and other cancers than smoking. So people need to lay off of smoking a bit. If it's bad..so what? It's my choice to do it. Smells bad? Then don't get around me. I don't like your perfume that you bathed in either.

(btw I don't smoked. I smoked for a bit years ago and quit. I think it's nasty and pointless to do. I just don't think people that do do it need to be nagged over it. It's their choice. Their money. Their lifestyle. )

I agree with what Trotter has said, and what some others have said, I will agree, it IS a DANGEROUS and hazardous thing to do, mostly because of the effects on your body. I weigh 370 pounds, I have weighed this much for years, I have smoked around half a pack a day, averaged for the last 3 years, and have spent nearly $2,800 on cigarettes, by the pack, but if you buy cartons or in bulk, the price goes down considerably. I lived in Kentucky most of the time, the state wouldn't do a smoking ban, but there was a lot of cities that went ahead and did bans on cigarettes, but when they did that, they saw tax income drop a LOT, because Kentucky, is a smokers state, well, a few months after wards they allowed alcohol sales in restaurants that seated 100 people or more, that helped even it out.

But I do respect people like Trotter, he has health issues as is, and can't be around it, this is the reason I try to smoke away from crowds. I have gotten into a habit, that when I smoke outside, like at a mall, I do by a pole outside, if I see kids walk by that I didn't notice earlier, I will hold my breath till they walk past so I don't exhale into there face, same with adults. But, I am talking about more or less, these ad's that are being put out, by several groups that are basicaly against everything and everyone except for them... If they banned tobaccos, what would happen to the states that most of there actual income is based on the sale of tobacco? Kentucky for example was one of the biggest producers, still one of the biggest producers, if all states perma banned tobacco sales, then Kentucky would have to find another way to bring money in. The thing is, the farmers couldn't do a HUGE turn around like that as they know how to grow mostly one thing, and that is tobacco, there are the random ones that grow hay for the cattle farms, and the very few that grow corn, but kentucky, already hit really hard, couldn't take much more of a hit or it won't have a gov because of the economy and tabacco bans... One thing I found interesting, only because the city banned it in public buildings is that the 6 flags park in Lexington kentucky, doesn't allow smoking unless it is at a designated place, sadly, where all the trash is, and out in the middle of LARGE open areas surrounded by cement... Not a lovely place to smoke, you would die of a heat stroke because it gets to hot, and smells really bad. I had quite a few people ask me where the nearest designated smoking area was because they saw me smoking quite a bit as I couldn't ride the rides, I was only there on a school trip, just to get outta school and to have something to do... But yes, for it to become a habit you must want it to become a habbit, and you have to smoke a LOT, I didn't become "addicted" to it till I started to up my smoking because of FBLA nationals last year, had a carton that week because of my studying stressing me out, worse than a collage exam as the materials was based on stuff that MAK would probably know, but most others here wouldn't know with out a Google search... Even then, today was the first time I bought a pack in the last week, and I have been completely fine with out, it is just a choice, and I go outside to smoke, I even walked outside the house im at now, in mid winter with sub zero wind chills to smoke a cigarette...

So, in all honesty, these groups should stop shoving these types of commercials in peoples faces, they should, instead show EDUCATIONAL ads on tv, with statistics and web urls that show what smoking can do to someone, over a certain period of time.

i agree with you on that Charles, im not trying to stop anyone from smoking, its not my place....i have no problem if someone wants to slowly kill themselves by smoking, as long as they are respectful like you and keep it to themselves and dont bring people like Trotter and myself down with them. As for the ads, it would be better to be more educational for sure, but in most cases it seems, its just not as effective for most groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom