Rust Stopper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I got hit by two deer last year and the dents chipped the paint and as a result, a bit of bare metal is exposed. I don't need this thing looking pretty, I just want a way to stop the rust from getting worse, even if it makes the car look a bit strange at that location. Are there any tips or products that can handle this?

First, sand the area down to bare metal, prime it with high quality primer, then paint it with a high quality paint, then a good clear coat, just remember to do some sanding between each coating with 3k or higher grit sand paper till you get to the last coat of paint, don't worry about sanding between the clear coats, won't look great, but, it's better than rusting, but, make sure you get rid of ALL the rust that is already present.

As I said, it aint the best method, but, it prevents rust.

Yeah... we're not going for showroom quality here. Just want to keep it from getting worse... When the one deer hit they ripped a chunk of metal about half the size of a fist out from above the rear wheel, and from there the rust has slowly crept outward.

Deer suck.

Yea, if you have metal missing, take it to a shop, have them cut out an area big enough to get rid of the rust, and put a new panel in place if possible, otherwise, you will always have rust, as paint around corners = difficult to control.

I wonder if this is something I could try out myself. After all, we have a garage. I wouldn't mind firing up the kerosene heater and experimenting a little bit. I doubt I can make it much worse than it already is... but if I would try anything myself, I'd have to be welding a new plate in place and get to grinding, etc., right?

Actually, if youy don't want to replace the chunk, just sand the paint back to good solid paint, then you can hit it with a quality rust inhiubitor/primer then paint to match.

To weld/replace yha, you cut of the area, then tack welds all the way around the edges. Gotta go slow as sheet metal wil warp with too much heat. Then you just grind the welds smooth and prime/paint.

Depending on your car, you might find patch panels to cut up that match your body syling.

Something like these: Auto Body Restoration Catalog

The issue is, when there are actually holes in the metal, you have that fine edge that paint has issues adhearing to, even if you use a self etching primer, it tends to chip away, hence the reason I said, if there is a hole, have it cut out, and a panel put in, then grind it down, put some cheap bondo on it, sand it, some filler, sand, then prime/paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom