Running Two Softwares

aniketpk

Beta member
Hi friends,
I am newbie and this is my first post here.
I work as a distributor for FMCG goods which I purchase from two different companies and sell those products in our area two shopkeepers.
The two companies for which I am working as a distributor have asked for on-line billing of their products for which they are going to install the two different softwares in my desktop at my place. My problem is both the softwares are SQL based and hence need separate operating system.
I am not that good in hardware so expect practical suggestion from the below options.
1. Having the two hard disk in the cpu cabinet with separate OS(this one seems bit impossible if i am not wrong.)
2. Having the two partition on one hard disk and installing separate OS on each partition.

In case if somebody has another solution then please post it or can directly mail me at aniketpk@gmail.com

While I'm not specifically familiar with your SQL scenario, I have used 2 different OS, each on separate HDD within the same computer, as well as 2 different OS, each on a separate HDD partition, within a single HDD. I don't see why that should be a problem.

I'm a little confused.

I'm a little puzzled at why being SQL based means they need seperate operating systems?

Can you explain a little more about this software that they want to install on your desktop? Do you also need to install SQL or are you connecting to their SQL server?

Definitely need more info since it's possible to install multiple applications sharing a single local (or remote) SQL server, each application can have it's own DB on the server.

You say the billing programs are on-line which implies that the servers are remote and separate which is fine.

Maybe the 2 billing programs client runs on 2 different OSes? Like maybe one is Windows based and the other Linux? That would make sense. In that case, I would setup a machine with whichever OS you used most often, then install VirtualBox and setup a Virtual Machine running the second OS. That way you could access both billing programs at the same time without the need to reboot to switch between them.

I would setup a machine with whichever OS you used most often, then install VirtualBox and setup a Virtual Machine running the second OS. That way you could access both billing programs at the same time without the need to reboot to switch between them.
Good advice strollin! This is the perferred solution given each app runs on a different OS.

All right, will give a brief scenario.

I am working as a distributor for two companies A & B. I have to have the software from both the companies as per their rules for billing purpose.
Now both companies have software created by same company and using same billing codes.( Like saving all the information such as Item name,Rate,Tax Amt, Scheme % etc in SQL database.) As suggested by their technician I have to have separate system for separate software and billing, but I am going to try it as having two partition in same HDD and having two different OS on separate partition Windows XP & Windows 7.
My question is will it work without any problem? (Bcoz same trick has been used by another distributor and he got problem with network connection.)
Hope now my problem is much clear.

By the way thanks strollin, will try this one too.

If the software was created by the same company and can't handle 2 different accounts, it must be poorly written as there is no such limitation within any SQL database that I'm aware of.

Regardless, as I said earlier, unless you want to have to reboot to switch between the 2 billing apps your best bet is to setup one in a Virtual Machine.

If the software was created by the same company and can't handle 2 different accounts, it must be poorly written as there is no such limitation within any SQL database that I'm aware of.
Yup, agreed, simply two different schemas/databases in the same instance. Must be something going on we don't know or else, some really dumb decisions have been made by the provider.

Back
Top Bottom