Running an LCD on 12V DC - how do I do this?

sizeoneshoe

Beta member
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of going mobile, in the sense that I may be spending some time off-grid, but would still like to use a computer where there's no electricity.

I know, the simplest thing to do would be to get a laptop. However, there's a chance I'd like to use an external LCD monitor so I can have a larger screen - it would work better for me, I think.

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time finding a monitor that can be run from 12V DC. It was suggested that I could use an inverter to turn DC power into AC, thus running your average LCD. However, I need to do this without an inverter - I need it as simple as possible, with as few parts as possible.

I don't know if there are any monitors which can take a direct 12V DC input. I suppose the next choice would be one with an external wall-wart type power supply that is AC-DC, and perhaps someone less electrically inept than I could simply change that to DC-DC, and hook it up to a 12V source.

I would prefer a monitor that's larger than smaller (not less than 19 or 20 inches, if possible), with a decent refresh rate and accurate color. (Okay, maybe these are secondary things to consider, but if something at all can be found, it's a start).

Any suggestions as to how to go about this, or models to look out for, are appreciated!

Thanks,

sizeoneshoe

i doubt a monitor can because they need AC to operate there clocks and there digital circuitry..., u get digital using AC and analog using DC, for the most part.

What exactly are you trying to do? When you say you are going to be spending some time "off grid" what do you mean? Not paying your electricity bill and having them shut it off?

At any rate, your best bet is to probably buy a generator of some sort. Your 12volt source I'm assuming a battery? Well batteries die, how are you going to recharge it?

Check automotive video system web sites. The monitors for the automotive type dvd players run off 12volts.
And sniperviper21 you have it somewhat backwards. Digital LCD monitors for example) uses its own internal timing circuits while crts use the ac sinewave for timing. The 60 cycle sinewave is pretty accurate but not even close when it comes to digital circuits.

Well i doubt you are going to find one which will run from 12v dc at that size so you may be better of as you have already been advised getting an inverter , also where are you planning on unsing this "off the grid" because there are plenty of affordable inverters out tehre
i doubt a monitor can because they need AC to operate there clocks and there digital circuitry..., u get digital using AC and analog using DC, for the most part.

An lcd monitor does not need ac power from the wall , in fact most older ones haad an external transformer that among other things converted the ac out of the wall to dc now most have the transformer built in

In fact ac is analogue anyway because the current alternates between 0 and 110 or 240v dependong on the country

Check automotive video system web sites. The monitors for the automotive type dvd players run off 12volts.
And sniperviper21 you have it somewhat backwards. Digital LCD monitors for example) uses its own internal timing circuits while crts use the ac sinewave for timing. The 60 cycle sinewave is pretty accurate but not even close when it comes to digital circuits.

ive never seen a 19" or above automotive dvd player screen

What i'd do is inspect the internal power supply inside an LCD screen. I'm pretty competent with electronics though and I wouldn't recommend doing it unless your the same. As mentioned above they actually run of very little power. The modern screens use switched-mode power supplies now cause they're very compact, power efficient and quiet.

I haven't inspected inside an LCD but I imagine that you might have one low voltage rail or several - to run different circuits inside the screen.

So... get your multimeter out! :)

Lets say the highest rail is 12V DC this means you can use a car battery to run it. If you have, lets say, 12VDC, 5VDC and 3VDC, then you need to make a little regulated PSU that provides the regulated supplies from the 12VDC, (13VDC normally).

Back
Top Bottom