Run.dll error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gripper

Beta member
I don't know if this is a hardware or a software problem but, here goes:

XP Professional, when I try to open the "Game Controllers" applet in Control Panel, I get "Run dll as an app has encountered a problem etc"

I have done a clean re-install but still get the same error before adding any software.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Gripper.

happens even after you formatted and re-installed? if so then we can rule out software. Try resetting your bios to defaults. if it only happens when you go into game controllers, i would suspect its a probelm either with the serial, parrallel, or USB ports.

if you can write the correct error it writes it would be great, thanks.
this might be oldfashioned or something, but run system check by norton system works and it should fix it..
If you can give the exact error I might be able to help better..
cheers...

im sure its rundll.dll has cause an error in blah blah blah, same old stuff, just means windows tok a dump when he did what he did. and since its consistant for when he goes to game controllers, that narrows it down considerably. Norton wont work. It happened AFTER he re-installed. Its not a software problem if he did a clean re-install.

Thanks guys. Tried default settings for BIOS, no result. Norton didn't find anything either. Error message is:

Run a DLL as an App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

I can attach the full report if that would be of any help.

Gripper.

hey.. I'm sorry to both of you... I didn't see that it was after he reinstalled and I didn't see €cniv's post when I wrote mine.. my bad.. I'm sorry..
I'll keep looking for an answer anyways..

Error message from System Information:

26/11/2002 16:58 Application Error Faulting application rundll32.exe, version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00130028.

Gripper.

PROBLEM SORTED - thanks guys, particularly €cniv.

I disabled all the onboard parallel/serial/usb ports and everything appears to be OK. Now it's just a process of elimination.

Thanks again.

Gripper.

Conflict resolution

Yep, It definately sounds like a conflict. I would also make sure that your game controller software is made for Windows XP Pro. Sometimes lesser verisons cause this type of error.

If it is a conflict, I guess knowing what type of PC would be good. If it's a laptop, frequently the IR controller can conflict. If it's a desktop is it old/new. If it's older does it have Two game controllers installed? Anyway, I am assuming you figured this one out. Good luck either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom