Rubber Sidewalks

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindoverMaster

Golden Master
In my home town:

RACINE - City officials have a money-saving idea for homeowners facing sidewalk replacements - make the sidewalks rubber.
City officials met this week to explore new options for residents who must pay to replace damaged sidewalk squares in front of their homes. Among the changes discussed were revamping the requirements that determine when a sidewalk must be repaired and implementing a new kind of rubber sidewalk that lasts longer, Mayor John Dickert said Tuesday.
Dickert met Monday with 7th District Alderman Ray DeHahn and City Attorney Robert Weber to "see if we can come to some resolution for people hit very hard right now by the economic impact of paying for the squares," said Dickert. Replacing a single sidewalk square costs homeowners about $130 and is required by court order.
To alleviate some of that financial strain, Dickert said the answer may be rubber sidewalks, which are made of recycled tires but generally look like standard cement sidewalks.
DeHahn said the rubber sidewalks are guaranteed 20 years, much more than the three-year guarantee on concrete, and Dickert said the rubber sidewalks are also reusable - if they're moved by things like tree roots, the rubber sidewalks can be pulled up, flattened and laid back down for a minimal charge.
Basic contractors could provide rubber sidewalks, DeHahn said. However the low-bid business selected this year to repair or replace sidewalk squares, Azarian & Sons at 726 Water St., does not, according to a company representative.
Changes like the rubber sidewalks likely would not affect squares to be replaced this summer because of that and because workers have already started marking squares to be replaced on the city's north side. Making changes would also require altering the city's ordinance that requires the city inspect and replace sidewalks. The ordinance comes from about 10 years ago when someone tripped on a city sidewalk and sued Racine.
Implementing rubber sidewalks would require adjusting the ordinance from that court case so that it allows something other than cement, Dickert said, adding the ordinance could also be adjusted to change the guidelines of what constitutes a trip hazard and what types of cracks must be fixed. Currently, sidewalk squares must be fixed when cracks are larger than ¾-inch wide, a single square or its neighboring squares have elevations more than one inch different and depth irregularities greater than ½ inch occur, among a few other criteria.
DeHahn said he planned to bring these issues up at the next Department of Public Works meeting.
Link: Rubber sidewalks for Racine?

Now I've heard everything...

I have heard of plastic sidewalks, made the same way as plastic rail road ties... But a RUBBER sidewalk? Hope it is stiff, hard, and has UV blockers added...

What about the effect of oil on rubber....?

Also I would imagine that if it's legally fair for them to require homeowners to pay for the replacement wouldn't that imply that any liability for someone tripping would be on the homeowner too? Which kind of makes you wonder how the city was sued and why they can make you replace it.

I reckon that's not a bad idea. It uses recycled material, will last longer, be cheaper, what's not to like?

And MoM, you may as well change your location to 'Racine WI, US' :p
I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE!

Rubber Sidewalk
8f0e9_rubber-sidewalks-could-help-reduce-carbon-dioxide-emissions-from-concrete.jpg

We got a few in my neighborhood as well, pretty cool.

@Nitestick- the sidewalk is the city's property. You have to pay a small fee, the city pays the rest. We had our sidewalk fixed a few years ago because a tree expanding broke up the concrete.

@SOULphIRE- The newbs that don't go here don't have to know :p At least no one knows my address. (I don't think at least)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom