router problems anyone willing to help?

fedup401

Solid State Member
I have a linksys BEFSR41 version 4.3 router and now the power light wont stop blinking and I get no internet connection through the router. heres the long version of the story, ok here goes nothing I have tried to fix this power light problem since it started but to no victory. I have only had my router for 3 months so i would hate to have to replace it so soon after buying it. I went to the linksys tech support site and all it told me was that i had to update my firmware which in fact is what caused the problem in the first place. I went to update my firmware and it downloaded and installed fine but then all of a sudden my power light began blinking and i lost all internet connection through the router. I tried to reset the router over 100 times i am sure and it does nothing. I have tried everything i can think of except the one thing i can not do which is the site reset method but you have to have internet connection through the router to do that. I am open to suggestions if anyone knows of anything to fix this problem i would be eternally grateful. thanks in advance for any and all advise.

Sounds like you bricked the router (bad firmware installation causes router to stop working altogether). Check google to see if you can find a method to bring the router back to life. It can't always be done, but if you don't want to replace the router, it's worth a try.

Sounds like you bricked the router (bad firmware installation causes router to stop working altogether). Check google to see if you can find a method to bring the router back to life. It can't always be done, but if you don't want to replace the router, it's worth a try.

thanks for the help i am not sure how well i will be able to figure it out because i am almost completely computer illiterate but i will see if i can find anything

Good luck. It's not always possible to "bring it back from the dead", if`n ya catch my drift. Let us know how you come out. OK?

That's great. My fingers are crossed as well. I've been in a similar situation and managed to bring my router back ... don't ask me how though. :p

That's great. My fingers are crossed as well. I've been in a similar situation and managed to bring my router back ... don't ask me how though. :p
what is a static ip address and how do i set it up... one of the results said to set one up but didnt explain it in dumb terms lol

A static IP address is a manually set IP address.

To set one:
1. Go to your Control Panel within Windows.
2. Go to Network Connections.
3. Find a connection (usually called Local Area Connection).
4. Right-click that connection, and left click properties.
5. Click TCP/IP and Click the Properties button below it.
6. Make sure to select the options to set addresses manually.

The addresses that you need for this project depend on the router. Most likely an IP address of 192.168.1.10, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, a default gateway of 192.168.1.1, and the same for Primary WINS server should work for you.

A static IP address is a manually set IP address.

To set one:
1. Go to your Control Panel within Windows.
2. Go to Network Connections.
3. Find a connection (usually called Local Area Connection).
4. Right-click that connection, and left click properties.
5. Click TCP/IP and Click the Properties button below it.
6. Make sure to select the options to set addresses manually.

The addresses that you need for this project depend on the router. Most likely an IP address of 192.168.1.10, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, a default gateway of 192.168.1.1, and the same for Primary WINS server should work for you.
woooooooooooohoooooooooooooooo i fixed it.... it is back from the dead and think i did it without my computer genius boyfriends help :) soooooooooo excited

Back
Top Bottom