Router adapter won't connect using WPA

JAFL

Baseband Member
I recently purchased a Dlink wireless router. I can only get WEP encryption connection on my laptop. (My wireless adapter card is an intel Pro/Wireless).
I cannot get a WPA connection. The router is capable of WEP, WPA, AND WPA2.

The Dlink tech support people said to download the Microsoft WPA patch for my windows XP if I want to use WPA. However, I have internet exporer 7, so when I download the patch, I get an error message saying you can only install the patch on service pack 1. Does this mean I don't need the patch?

And if its not a patch issue, then why can't I get a connection when WPA is selected? It seems like there must be a simple solution to this issue.

I never liked D-Link... always had a problem with them. I have a Linksys router... it's not that good but it works for me. I have a WPA encryption and both my computers connect fine.

If you have SP2 or 3 in you already have that patch. This is more of a wireless card problem than the router.

What is the exact model of your wireless card? My guess is that it doesn't support WPA.

If you have SP2 or 3 in you already have that patch. This is more of a wireless card problem than the router.

What is the exact model of your wireless card? My guess is that it doesn't support WPA.

It's an Intel PROset/Wireless 3945 abg. It's two years old. The router is a D-link DIR 615 'n'

It's an Intel PROset/Wireless 3945 abg. It's two years old. The router is a D-link DIR 615 'n'

I should also mention I'm running xp service pack 2. It would not allow me to install the patch. I assume sp2 already has it.

Back
Top Bottom