Room Temperature First

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hi,

ive got this question that i have asked all my science teachers and none of them seem to have the answer and id like to know what u guys think about it ?

which would reach room temperature faster

A Cup of water boiled to + 100'C
or
A Cup of water chilled to - 100'C

now let me give u a few things i have taken into consideration

room temperature at 23'C
both cups of water same size e.g 100ML or 1000ML
Boiled water has less temperature to drop.
Cold water has a greater temp difference so shud cool faster ?

I have not done this experiment as i prob couldnt find a way to reach -100'C but its just a general question i have wondered about for like 2 years now lol and it seems to be about 50 - 50 to what people say will cool first.

so what do you guys think ?

Personally, I think the chilled water.

Why? Well, the chilled waters atoms won't be moving that fast, so it seems to me, they'll pick up the heat and start to move more.

Whilst, the hot atoms in the other container are bouncing around (Wait...yeah, I think...wait, am I right in saying they'd bounce around?) ANYHOW, yeah, so, it'll take longer for them to relax into room temperature state.

yh your right about the particles coz they are heated they have more energy and i know it wud take longer for them to stop moving than it wud for the cold to start moving. but because it has less temp to drop it shud make up the difference.

lol i dunno id luv some1 to actually try it maybe i shud email braniac or mythbusters.

dunno how mythbusters wud turn it into a myth but im sure we cud think of something lol

By less temp to drop, you mean the room temp difference, but thats only a 23 degrees C difference.

I guess if you put it to normal terms, with for example a cup of tea, and a glass of cold water, the tea will probably cool a lot quicker than the cup of cold water.

I don't know, its rather confusing isn't it...

Thinking about it that way though, the hot source probably would cool quicker, since the particles are moving at such a rate, that the heat is being given off, so after a short while, the energy would be used up, so would achieve room temp.

Meanwhile, the cold source would slowly be picking up pace, but because its not transfering much in the way of heat due to the slow moving particles, they should take quite a while to start building up more heat.

Why not try. freeze an item (water ) to zero degree C, thats easy to accomplish, just freeze it overnight, then boil the water, set them both out and watch.... I believe the boiled water will cool to room temp MUCH faster than a solid ice cube will first melt, raise to room temp

I think the hot would cool quickly . One because the cold has to gain 123C whereas the hot only has to loose 77c . Also the hot would be transfering its energy to the air around it and so loosing it wheras the cold ould need to gain energy from the air around it .
Think about this . WHen you cook some food from frozen . Say a frozen pizza say it take 30 minutes to cook in a hot oven but it takes less than 30 minutes to go cold dosent it .

I think the hot would cool quickly . One because the cold has to gain 123C whereas the hot only has to loose 77c . Also the hot would be transfering its energy to the air around it and so loosing it wheras the cold ould need to gain energy from the air around it .
Think about this . WHen you cook some food from frozen . Say a frozen pizza say it take 30 minutes to cook in a hot oven but it takes less than 30 minutes to go cold dosent it .

umm well that really dont make sense because cooking is all about getting it to a very hot temp then keeping it there while it cooks lol.

not just a case of heating it up coz if u wonna play just heating it up game wot bout then 60 second burgers take 60 seconds to heat up and probably a bit longer to cool?

(i wudnt like to eat n e thing u cook lol) the pizza doesnt take 30mins to reach 100'C lol
sorry i dont mean to be putting you down or calling u dumb im pretty sure u see my point ;)

Why not try. freeze an item (water ) to zero degree C, thats easy to accomplish, just freeze it overnight, then boil the water, set them both out and watch.... I believe the boiled water will cool to room temp MUCH faster than a solid ice cube will first melt, raise to room temp

oh and this wud not work coz your average home freezer probably only goes to about - 18'C im talkin -100'C

as i said the how water wudnt be a problem its just the cold which wud be difficult

umm well that really dont make sense because cooking is all about getting it to a very hot temp then keeping it there while it cooks lol.

not just a case of heating it up coz if u wonna play just heating it up game wot bout then 60 second burgers take 60 seconds to heat up and probably a bit longer to cool?

(i wudnt like to eat n e thing u cook lol) the pizza doesnt take 30mins to reach 100'C lol
sorry i dont mean to be putting you down or calling u dumb im pretty sure u see my point ;)

Yeah sorry let me explain a bit better .Ok if you keep it hot for 30 minutes while it cooks in the hot oven . Then after it has cooked and you have taken it out of the oven it takes less than 30 minutes to cool down .I was only using 30 minutes as an example though
Like a pot noodle . You put the water in at at 100c and after a few minutes it is at a safe level for you to eat
As for the 60second burgers well i dunno they dont cool down in under 60 seconds but they do cool down pretty quicly

Back
Top Bottom