Roku 3 & Changing Netflix Regions Issue

NikonD3X

Beta member
Hello tech-forums,

I'm not sure if this in the right place or not, but hopefully someone can help me, please feel free to move this to the appropriate forum if need be.

Last week I bought a Roku 3, I'm in the UK btw, and I've enjoyed using the device. However, during the initial setup the Roku 3 updated to the latest firmware version of 5.4 (build 3340), this in turn, as I've only just learned, has brought about the dreaded 8.8.8.8 Public Google DNS, which is now hard-wired into the Roku box, and now I can't find a way to block this so I can watch US Netflix in the UK.

This next part pertains to this guide: GUIDE: Roku & Changing Netflix Regions (Quick and Easy) | AVForums.

I'm also having another problem, that which I was up until 02:30am this morning trying to find a workaround for, is I was following this guide, and everything, I think, was going great until I got to STEP 4 - Configuring the Roku. My iPhone and Laptop connected great whilst the DHCP server software, as highlighted in STEP 3 - The DHCP Server, was running (this is temporary software to give my Roku 3 box a static IP to make it think it is in the US), but the Roku was having none of it, no matter what I tried, it wouldn't work.

I'm sorry if I'm confusing you all by now, as I am myself, I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff.

So, from all the information I have provided above, most importantly the link, and you can find my reply to said thread on the end of page 2, is I want to disable the Netflix App on the Roku 3 box from using the Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8, make my Roku 3 box think it is in the USA, and still have all my devices work as normal, as the outdated guide at the link was explaining. I have a Huawei HG523a router, and I'm on Talktalk for my broadband.

If anyone knows anything, or can point me in the right direction, I would be eternally grateful. I will be actively following this thread, so please help in any way you can and I will try and explain along the way the best I can.

Thank you, and again, I'm sorry for the confusing essay!

P.S: My motivation for doing this is with all the seasons of American Dad, Family Guy, Futurama and The Walking Dead etc. ready to stream on the US Netflix, that we can't get in the UK, tell me this isn't worth the effort :D

Martin.

Back
Top Bottom