Rocketry. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
I've recently become interested in STS 119 and space travel/missions in general. I'm looking for another hobby other than computers. I used to build model rockets as a kid with my dad and I've always had a lot of fun.

I'm planning on picking up some rockets + accessories this weekend.

If there is anyone here that is into model rockets and can give me advice on what level I should start at (Level 1, Level 2, Level 3, Level 4 or Level 5). What should I look for? What companies are good & bad etc...

Any information you think might be valuable.

Thanks

oh dude YES

I used to be so into building model rockets. I built all kinds of custom designs and painted them and ****. I got to choose which motors to use... A, B, C, D. SO FUN.

Estes Estes Estes Estes.... they have ready-to-build kits, spare parts/from scratch kits, launching equipment, motors, accessories, everything

Estesrockets.com - Model Rockets, Rocketry, R/C Airplanes, Radio Control Products go to the "rockets" section...
ignore the Air Rockets, Hydrogen Rockets, RTF and E2X.... its stupid kid crap. but definitely check out the Classics catalog.

Look through the stuff and do some Googling...pretty fun-as-$hi*-hobby.

some quick rocket recommendations if you want to start with kits...

level1
Estesrockets.com - Model Rockets, Rocketry, R/C Airplanes, Radio Control Products (easy, fast, flies high, HAS A FREAKIN PAYLOAD COMPARTMENT)

Estesrockets.com - Model Rockets, Rocketry, R/C Airplanes, Radio Control Products (easy, fast, flies much higher, my first rocket, hits 1700ft. on a engines, but can fit b's and even c's = 2000ft)

level2
Estesrockets.com - Model Rockets, Rocketry, R/C Airplanes, Radio Control Products (big fat rocket)
Estesrockets.com - Model Rockets, Rocketry, R/C Airplanes, Radio Control Products (2-stage; goes really high!)

level3
Estesrockets.com - Model Rockets, Rocketry, R/C Airplanes, Radio Control Products (pretty **** big rocket, takes off slower and uses biggest engine so it looks cooler

on engine size and thrust
Rocket motor labels look something like this: B6-4

-the first letter is the engine's size and thrust category (1/2 A with "t" is lowest, you usually don't see higher than D or F in this level of rocketry)
-the first number is an indicator of the average thrust of the motor
-the second number is how long there is between the thrust ending and the ejection charge firing

Thanks Molsen. And how the heck are you?

I've been looking at Estes. The local hobby shop near me has a huge section dedicated to Estes, so I'll probably start there. I'll probably start out with a full kit. Then I'll probably order the actual rockets over the web and purchase the engines locally "Since they can't be shipped via Air".

I've also seen some videos on youtube of people who have onboard cameras. Friggin cool! What level rocket is required for a camera? What type of camera?

YouTube - High Power Model Rocket @ Rio Grande Ohio

YouTube - AMRAAM 4 Rocket On-board Video

holy cow that's a J570 and a J350 engine... yea that's a few steps above the Estes stuff. that's a really darn long burn time. pretty much the longest any of the Estes engines burn for is at max just under 2 seconds, and it minimum a half a second (but that's with the 1/2A size engines...but f*** that p**** a** s***

oh yea, these people have lots of really cool stuff Model Rockets from Apogee Components and you can use the Estes motors with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom