Ripped off from repair shop

I am going to agree with root on some of his points, but I will also correct him on one thing.

@root: The company in question "Wiped The Harddrive" or as we both know, reinstalled the OS. If you want to test the hardware in question, there are a number of ways to get it done without touching the HD. They failed in that respect, and likely did so to make the extra money. They have to make money, and if they had been strait (like the rest of us are) they wouldnt have made the amount of money that they did make.
Its very unfortunate, and it gives the rest of us a bad rep. But it is not the first time I have heard of this happening.

I think they're covered by the fact they told you your data may be lost unfortunately..

But there's no way they should have wiped it to replace a battery, that's totally ridiculous... it clips in and clips out, same concept to replacing the AA batteries in your TV remote...

I think they're covered by the fact they told you your data may be lost unfortunately..

But there's no way they should have wiped it to replace a battery, that's totally ridiculous... it clips in and clips out, same concept to replacing the AA batteries in your TV remote...

That's it right there. Nothing more so they're rip offs or incompetent idiots.

How old is the laptop?

There's a few cavets under UK sales of goods act. I happen to be well versed in them.

So, can you answer these:

Exactly how old is the laptop, at the date of you taking it in for a new battery?
What services did you want?
What services did you get?
What did you pay? What is the break down?

I can tell you where you stand with statutory minimum protections, but you may have more depending on the make and model of the laptop - and any other conditions at the time of sale. So, if you have any paper work, go through that with a fine toothcomb, as they are contractually bound by it. Bare in mind, anything less than statutory does not count - i.e. if they say you have only a 3 month warranty on a new product - then the sales of goods act takes precendence as it protects you for much longer (and it's complex, it's not as simple as just 1 year minimum as a lot of people think). Then there's the case of miss-selling, if you paid for services you didn't need, then they're in bother.

As for the data, that's been covered. As for the battery, well, that depends on a whole host of things, but answer the above, and I'll tell you exactly where you stand.

For those in the USA and elsewhere, PC World (Part of Currys) is a rippoff merchant and essentially the only major high street retailer of white goods and computers left - the lack of high street competition makes them pricy, and their service is severely lacking in my experience. But, they essentially have a market to themselves and do well, especially with those who are wary of online shopping - aka, older generations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom