Right click = crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C0RR0SIVE

Golden Master
Anytime now for some reason when i right click on a .exe file my windows crash's and doesnt want to restart. The windows that where up are still there and i can still use them, but the start bar and everything on the desktop such as icons just goes away. Does anyone know how to fix this other than a reformat? Because i have no way of backing up all my data.....

Well all signs point to a corrupt registry i think.... Any one have any ideas how to fix it? Because Tuneup utilitys and norton show 0 errors

I would try a simple system file check first to make sure everything is nice and clean. Do this from the run line and type sfc /scannow .

Also for a cheap work around if the windows is still active, but everything dissapears most likely explorer.exe got terminited. If you can issue a CTRL-ALT-DLT and get to the task manager you can launch this via a new process. save you a reboot. Just for a more personal note what would you need to right-click on an executable for? Unless you are a programmer that designs them of course :) which could be the case...just curious is all.

I'm going to have to reformat and do a low level one :(

Crappy BSV is on here i think because this is the 2nd installation with different disc that its done this. And the reason i would right click them is to change the .exe files to .txt to send to friends via MSN 7.0 because it blocks .exe files. There the programmers, im the one that stores and backs up there files.

Oh and Explorer restarts it self automatically, its just all the icons on the right go away, and i have a lot of programs i access running in there that can only be accessed through it....

dang that sucks..how about doing it through keyboard does it only crash when right-clicking to rename or the renaming process in general?

You could click once on the EXE to make it the active selection then hit F2 to rename it and see if crashes then. Or try clicking it once then click again anywhere on the EXE name to rename it as well. That way you can see if it is just right-click or not. You prolly tried all that already, but figured I'd throw that in the mix :)

The rename process don't crash it though, anyways thanks for your help, im backing up all my files and doing a low level reformat. Don't expect to see me post around here anymore for certain reasons. Thanks much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom