Revo Uninstaller

copiman

In Runtime
Need some help. I goggled a program on my laptop called MPM. I found it to be an HP program dealing with printing. I also read that its a hiding place for virus/malware. I am trying to clean up this laptop. So, I used Revo to uninstall it. Got to the end where it scans for leftovers and it came up with 12,919 registry items. Not sure what to do here. Delete or not delete, that is the question?

Being a greenhorn that I am, I wanted to put this out there and see if I could get some input from the many experts on this site. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The proper way to remove a program is to go to:
control panel > add/remove programs > name of program > right click > select uninstall
REVO is basically for software that doesn't have a uninstaller or the uninstaller doesn't work. HP programs have uninstallers. Use them.

Thanks setishock. Here is an update to where I am. I started goggling some of the registry items that were left over. Found a ton of them to be virus/malware. I went ahead and deleted all of them, and now the laptop works properly.

In class we were instructed to do the following when uninstalling and wanted to see what you think. I look at it as classroom vs. real world, which by the way is different sometimes.

Always use the uninstaller in the program you are removing first. If it does not have an uninstaller, use the control panel to uninstall.

Will using Revo, I noticed that sometimes when removing programs, the program uninstaller will pop up. I will then use it. Once that is complete, then Revo takes over and scans for leftovers. Sometimes it finds leftovers, sometimes it doesn't. So, if Revo was not available, and you could only use the program uninstaller or control panel, and there were leftovers, how do you clean them up? I'm sure there is a utility to cleanup the registry of leftovers, but I don't know about it. Still a student and learning. Maybe I should use the name Greenhorn instead of Copiman ( I am a copier tech).

Thank you for your guidance. It really is very helpful and very much needed.

They are called orphaned registry entries. Reg cleaners like the one in my toolbox will find they are orphaned by checking for an associated program. If one is found they are skipped. If an associated program is not found then they are tagged for deletion.
However this doesn't not mean go like a bull in a china shop and delete them. Back up your reg first and always before making any changes to it.
You could lock yourself out if you're not careful. Auslogic's reg cleaner and CCleaner are two that a lot of us use because we trust them. When they ask if you want to back up the reg say yes. It doesn't take but a whisper of drive space. Saves you a whole lot of grief if something goes wrong.
http://www.computerforums.org/forums/cyber-safety-computer-security/pc-cleanup-toolbox-219988.html

Thanks setishock. Its a little more clear now. Will look into the tools you mentioned and add them to a list I am developing. I have to make a list because there are a lot of them out there. I only use the ones that folks like yourself, the trusted people on this site, recommend.

Thank you for helping me. I learn from your response.

Back
Top Bottom