Retrieve Data from Dead Hard drive??

ib_redbeard

Beta member
I have a dead hard drive and I was wondering if there was a way to retrieve the data from it? Or what programs to use to that end. First, let me state just how dead this is. It will not register in the BIOS, won't show up in windows or any boot disk. FDISK doesn't know its there. The hard disk gets power because it gets hot and I know that power cord is working becuase I used it for the CD-ROM. The IDE cable is good because I put attached another hard drive to it and it works no problem. The disk is dead. So, is there any way to get the data off it? Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

two ways...

first, when you plug it in, can you hear it spinning, (I.e is the disk motor dead, or is the control board dead?)

if the controll board is dead, buy a sinillar disk off ebay and swap the control boards to be able to get your data off of the disk.

second method, send your disk away (in the post) to a data recovery centre who will charge you to recover your data, but will be able to recover data from all but the most absolutly dead and destroyed disks.

Thanks for the help. I tried to freeze it but no go. I am going to try switch the circuit boards on the hard drive with one that works.

Back
Top Bottom