Retail x OEM

I was building a computer for the heck of it on Newegg. I really liked it and I'm thinking about buying it. It was about $700. The parts were mostly retail. I want to know what the differences between Retail and OEM are. My dad advises me only to buy retail. Is there really a big disadvantage in OEM? Isn't OEM much cheaper though?

OEM Usually doesn't come with all the peices unless otherwise stated.

For example, an OEM processor usually won't come with a HSF. An OEM hard drive won't come with the necessary cables or drivers if they are needed. So, in a way, OEM can be better if you are interested in using non-stock parts, but generally it can be worse.

So let's say I wanted to build a computer but I don't know if I want to sell it or not later. Would it be better to buy Retail or OEM?

OEM or retail won't make any difference in resale value.

It's all the same parts, it's just that OEM parts don't come with the fancy box, manuals, etc.

Well, resale value is not the only thing that applies though. Would paying less for the part and buying my own cables, etc. be worth more than having an easier time selling (I'm assuming a computer build from retail parts that came with manuals, etc. would be easier to sell than OEM) the computer? It's all a trade-off and I want your guys' opinion on which one is the best trade-off.

typically oem doesnt come in the fancy box and thats IT. usually you dont need the manuals if that product came oem, for instance, a hard drive, you dont need instructions, and the necessary cables come with the motherboard more than often, and since when have you need drivers for an unformatted hard drive? (i could be wrong). when you get disk drives (minus hard drives) oem they usually come with software and cables anyway (mine did and i remember it being oem). oem is the way to go.

and i doubt highly that someone will be like where are the manuals when you sell them your computer. they most likely wont care as long as it works. and if they do ask say they're on the manufacturers website (which they almost definately will be)

Ok. But can someone clarify this: Is a computer with retail parts easier to sell? I would assume so as the buyer would be willing to trust you more seeing you have the manuals and everything else.

As he said, how often do people really care if they get the manual or not when buying a used system? They might care if you have or don't have the driver CDs, but a lot of the time that's not even the case. I'd say, get OEM CPU if you plan on getting an aftermarket HSF, retail mobo just to get all the cables, retail GPU if you need any of the extra cables, OEM HDD and optical drive since the cables come with the mobo, OEM mouse and keyboard. That's about how I did it. The manual the mobo came with was crap, and I never used the GPU manual...

I think a system w/o manuals would be as easy to sell as one with manuals. I've sold countless used systems, a couple I had the driver CDs for and gave that to them, but mostly I didn't. And I never had a single manual to give them and they didn't mind.

If possible get OEM. It's cheaper and almost the same. Exceptions would be the mobo (you want to get the driver cd + all the cables etc) and the cpu. (unless you are getting an aftermarket hsf)

I got almost all my parts retail, just because over here they don't sell that many oem products. The cpu was available as oem but.. well the price difference was 2e so by paying an extra 2e I have an additional hsf if I happen to need it. And if I don't need it then I can just give it away or throw it to the lake/at a bird or whatever. :D

I didnt read thru the thread, but ill put it simply.

OEM is direct from the manufacture. Its ONLY the product *usually* and doesnt have the fancy stuff with it.

Retail is what you see in stores. It costs more for the same product, because it has nice manuals and boxes and such.

Take a processor for example. OEM would be solely the processor shipped to you in a box. Retail would be processor in a nice box, directions and a heatsink ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom