resuming from windows (could also be hardware)

familyman01

Baseband Member
Windows 7 x64 laptop, specifically set in power settings to never hibernate/turn off when plugged in. Was running an intensive external defrag overnight and woke up to the stupid black screen and no lights on. I pressed the power button thinking I had a crash or other, but got the idiotic "resuming windows" screen.

This issue may be caused by the charger as well. Funny thing, battery charges and stays charged, and i'm using the OEM charger and OEM battery but I get an error when I boot up saying that I don't have an OEM charger and to press F1 to continue.

Funnier.... the charger error just started after yet another internal HDD swap but did not start right away. And also in the funnier section, the charger error is about 75% of boot ups and the hibernate issue is also intermittent.

When I leave my PC on, I do it for a reason, I don't believe in standbys and hibernations, I use the shut down option for that.

Anyway, stop this PC from hibernating. Thank you guys.

It sounds like you may have a bad charger, might be giving odd voltages and the PC gives you that message, might even be causing it to think it's running on the battery and putting it into sleep mode, My guess is the charger might be giving low voltage.

^ To confirm this, if you have a multimeter..check the output voltage of the charger.

makes sense, i did a mini test. I set "battery only" to hibernate after an hour and left "plugged in" the same (never hibernate) and since i'm sick today i went ahead and slept off my migraine for roughly 4 hours, PC was still on, facepalm.

i have a multimeter but its so old the prongs are missing lol. the error though shows what the voltages should be, also printed on the brick and i'm sure replacements aren't expensive i hope.

say, this is a dell, anyone know if i can get a generic replacement for now with the proper output and not show an error?

I may have one that's missing the power cord part of it, I remember it was slightly different than the other Dell charger I have, See if the power cord part comes out and if so take a pic of the plug and if it matches it's yours for shipping. Let me see if I can find it now LOL

I may have one that's missing the power cord part of it, I remember it was slightly different than the other Dell charger I have, See if the power cord part comes out and if so take a pic of the plug and if it matches it's yours for shipping. Let me see if I can find it now LOL

I've seen on HP that quite a few batteries are interchangable so i'm crossing my fingers that your spare Dell adapter will work. Gonna attempt my first attachment here on the site.

Attachments

• 20160112_181505.jpg
    20160112_181505.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160112_181550.jpg
    20160112_181550.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom